sybux

SCCM 2012 with or without MDT ?

How advanced do you want your task sequences?

For instance my Task Sequences are very WMI query heavy, this way I can cut down on a task sequence for every different type of configuration or machine out there (I'm not talking apps, more like 32-bit Windows XP, 32-bit Windows 7, workgroup machine, domain machine). I have 4 task sequences in my environment and I am always trying to find a way to make them more simple and easier for people out there. If I could get down to 1 task sequence that asks for 1 or 2 variables then images the machine from there that is truly the magic of MDT ZeroTouch deployments. I have not messed much with UDI though, so I can't speak to the benefits of that.

i'd always integrate mdt with Configmgr as the benefits are worth it, it gives you pre-made scripts for doing just about anything you can imagine outside of a standard task sequence, it allows you to add roles and features to server deployments, UDI, gather info (Gather step), display and use HTAs, install language packs offline/online and more

I have always found that SCCM native task sequences required a lot of work to carry out in depth deployments, however when you integrate MDT with SCCM it takes ahuge amount of effort out of the sequence part as MDT comes with a large amount of scripts already created for use in either MDT or in SCCM. I never deploy SCCM without MDT now.....

Not to forget the coolest new feature, the deployment database, which gives you endless opportunities to tweak your deployments. There was a nice brakout session held at the MMS 2012 two weeks ago introducing all the new features of MDT 2012. Many thanks to Johan Arwidmark, who was a speaker there. Enjoyed all his sessions.