SysAdam

Deploying Quicktime 7.7.1 with SCCM2012 - HELP

Hi All,

I have been trolling on these forums and google trying to find a way to Deploy the latest Quicktime with SCCM 2012.

I have tried creating applications from MSI's with the extracted quicktime files and setting dependecies but that didnt work.

I have also tried using a script to install it (It works when running the script on the local machine with admin rights) this fails almost immediately.

I am at the end of my rope. I've now wasted a day and a half trying to find a solution.

Has anyone managed to do this successfuly? Did you use a legacy package or an application.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

SysAdam.

I use a batch script and deploy it in a package. Here's my batch script:

start /w msiexec /i %~dp0AppleApplicationSupport.msi /quiet /passive /norestart

start /w msiexec /i %~dp0QuickTime.msi /quiet /passive /norestart ASUWISINSTALLED=0 APPLEAPPLICATIONSUPPORTISINSTALLED={0C34B801-6AEC-4667-B053-03A67E2D0415} DESKTOP_SHORTCUTs=NO QT_TRAY_ICON=NO SCHEDULE_ASUW=NO

delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run /v "QuickTime Task" /f

I have version 7.7.1 (1680.42) Deployed in SCCM 2007 and 2012 no problems.

I know you need all 3 MSI's installed for Quicktime to work. The other idea would be an application with relationships to all 3 MSI appliactions. I haven't tried it, but the relationships I have tried have been sucessful. I don't see why it wouldn't work here.

I've just tried this and posted on a different forum with my findings. Once you extract the QT MSI's you can just deploy the QuickTime.msi file and it handles Application Support etc. You can then use GPO's to apply the quicktime.qtp file to users so you can centralise settings if you wish, as below:

This one continues to be a stupid app...

It stores preferences in QuickTime.qtp - great, except this is a per-user file in the individual users 'LocalLow' folder on the C: drive.

If you run through the install from the exe and wait at the first prompt you should be able to search on the PC for '*.msi' and root out the extracted files when the installer runs.

If you run the quicktime.msi it installs fine, no more of the 'ISSETUPDRIVEN=0' stuff from older versions, even Apple App Support installs from this one automatically.

Run QuickTime and disable auto-update etc, turn off any tray icons etc. Navigate to C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\LocalLow\Apple Computer\QuickTime and copy out the qtp file to a network share that everyone has read access to.

In the user profile GPO (or relevant one applied to a user at login) add:

User Configuration > Preferences > Windows Settings > Folders

Add folder (Create or Update?) with the value of

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\LocalLow\Apple Computer\QuickTime

Add a file (Create or Update?) with the value of:

Source: \\servername\share\QuickTime.qtp

Destination: C:\Users\%username%\AppData\LocalLow\Apple Computer\QuickTime\QuickTime.qtp

At login this folder and file is created and contains the settings you applied as your login. I tested a pupil login and ran QuickTime - it did not prompt to register etc. and on checking as an admin, the file and folder are created as required.

You can silently install the QuickTime MSI though my next step is to test that this works OK - worst case you'll need an MSI for QuickTime and a second for Apple Application Support.

I had similar problems when we moved to 2012...I tried to keep the AAS and QuickTime MSI's as part of the same app/package, but deployment kept failing, even with proper dependencies. What I ended up doing was creating separate apps/packages for each and was able to get them to install properly that way.

Got this working by creating an SCCM 2007 package that has two programs. Program 1 calls a runs VB and runs with the users permissions only when the user is logged in. Program 2 calls a CMD that in turn runs a VB script and runs with administrative permissions. The advertisment is set to download.

Program 1 VB Script: (note: i push an environment variable to my machine named smssource that points to the nas path I have all of our package source files in)

Set oShell = createobject ("wscript.shell")

Set oFSO = createobject ("scripting.filesystemobject")

Set oEnv = oShell.environment ("process")

'This creates c:\users\<userprofile>\appdata\locallow\apple computer if it doesn't already exist

If Not oFSO.FolderExists (oEnv("UserProfile") & "\AppData\LocalLow\Apple Computer\") Then

strNewfolder = oFSO.CreateFolder (oEnv("UserProfile") & "\AppData\LocalLow\Apple Computer\")

End If

'This creates 'This creates c:\users\<userprofile>\appdata\locallow\apple computer if it doesn't already exist if it doesn't already exist

If Not oFSO.FolderExists (oEnv("UserProfile") & "\AppData\LocalLow\Apple Computer\QuickTime\") Then

strNewfolder = oFSO.CreateFolder (oEnv("UserProfile") & "\AppData\LocalLow\Apple Computer\QuickTime\")

End If

'This copies the customized quicktime preference file to c:\users\<userprofile>\appdata\locallow\apple computer\quicktime

oFSO.CopyFile oEnv("smssource") &"\Apple\QuickTime\QuickTime.qtp", oEnv("UserProfile") &"\AppData\LocalLow\Apple Computer\QuickTime\",True

Program 2 CMD:

Pushd %~dp0

Wscript.exe install.vbs

Install.vbs:

Const HKEY_CURRENT_USER = &H80000001

Const HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE = &H80000002

strComputer = "."

Apple = "C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Apple"

strKeyPath = "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"

strStringValueName = "QuickTime Task"

Set oShell = createobject ("wscript.shell")

Set oFSO = createobject ("scripting.filesystemobject")

Set oEnv = oShell.environment ("process")

Set oWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")

Set oReg=GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\default:StdRegProv")

oShell.Run "msiexec.exe /i AppleApplicationSupport.msi /qn", ,True

oShell.Run "msiexec.exe /i quicktime.msi /qn ASUWISINSTALLED=0 DESKTOP_SHORTCUTs=NO QT_TRAY_ICON=NO SCHEDULE_ASUW=NO /l* c:\windows\options\sccm\QuickTime7.71.80.42.log", ,True

'Apple creates a job for Task Scheduler for auto updates this deletes that task

If oFSO.FolderExists(Apple) Then

oFSO.DeleteFolder Apple

End If

oReg.DeleteValue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,strKeyPath,strStringValueName

Wscript.Quit