JimT1701

Best Practices Topology

Hello all newbie here so be kind :)

As most of us here I have been tasked with creating a SCCM 2012 Hierarchy from scratch with almost no formal training. Is there a guide for Best Practices when it comes to hierarchy. A little overview of my Companies configuration.

We have a coprporate office in Massachusetts

• This is where I plan to install the Central Management and Primary site

We have two remote offices in Wisconsin connected over an MPLS network

• I need to support OS PXE install as well as Software Distribution and Updates in each of these 2 sites
  • Do I install Secondary sites here or just DPs?

We have a site in Austria connected over an MPLS network

• I need to support OS PXE install as well as Software Distribution and Updates in this site

We have 2 Sites in China Primary in Suzhou small sales office in Beijing

• I need to support OS PXE install as well as Software Distribution and Updates in this site

Also I plan to put the CM database and the Primary database on the same DB server. Can I put the DBs in the same named instance or should I create a seperate named instance for CM and Primary? Also do the remote sites require a full SQL server?

Looking for any recommendations for my topology.

Thanks again

take a look at Planning for Sites and Hierarchies in Configuration Manager here on Technet first. Then, if you decide against a standalone primary setup (which can have secondaries and dp's) you can read my hierarchy setup guide here to further understand the do's and don'ts.