bollo

Needing help to PXE boot an unknown computer.

Question

Fiorst of all I must congratulate you anyweb for your site, and specially for all the guides you've posted on it. :D

I've followed every step of your "how to setup sccm 2007 sp1 in window server 2008". I' doing this on virtual machines, so I can backup the good configuration and delete the bad one. Also this is my thesis to graduate from my univeristy, which have restricted me the use of its servers. That's why I've decided to do it virtually.

Anyway and getting into the topic, would you can explain me how to setup the support to unknown coputers in SCCM 2007 R2!?

Maybe you will say to check the box when you're setting the PXE service to suppoirt unknown machines, but that's just useless.

Evry time I try to boot an unknown machine is says something like this:

"sms_ucb\abortpxe.com

PXE aborted"

So would you can explain me how to make it work...and then how to Build and Capture a WinXP SP3 from that bare-metal and unknown computer!?

See ya!

David Ulises

Also I've found this on the smspxe.log in the SCCM 2007 R2 logs:

[192.010.000.015:4011] Recv From:[192.010.000.080:68] Len:548 1a5f3b4 smspxe 11/26/2008 6:40:53 PM 2372 (0x0944)

[192.010.000.015:4011] Recv From:[192.010.000.080:68] Len:299 1a604bc smspxe 11/26/2008 6:40:54 PM 2372 (0x0944)

Parsing Database name 'SQL2005\SMS_UCB' for SQL named instance. smspxe 11/26/2008 6:40:54 PM 3164 (0x0C5C)

Executing GetBootAction(7, ADSERVER) smspxe 11/26/2008 6:40:54 PM 3164 (0x0C5C)

No Boot Action for Device (7) found smspxe 11/26/2008 6:40:54 PM 3164 (0x0C5C)

ProcessDatabaseReply: No Advertisement found in Db for device smspxe 11/26/2008 6:40:54 PM 3164 (0x0C5C)

"sms_ucb\abortpxe.com

PXE aborted"

anything abortpxe related means no advertisement is targetted to the selected computer and in your second post

ProcessDatabaseReply: No Advertisement found in Db for device smspxe 11/26/2008 6:40:54 PM 3164 (0x0C5C)

kindof confirms that...

so, have you advertised a Task Sequence to any collection ? if so what one ? and will this unknown computer be part of that collection ?

Yeap...I want that this unknown machine becomes the "reference machine" from where I will capture the Windows XP SP3 image.

As I know this computer "charges" the template from the "All unknown computers"?

Also how do I make that this unknown computer executes the task sequence I've made.

How can I accomplish that!? ;)

Also how do I create a task sequence to make every unknown machine to install automatically the captured image that I will make from the "reference machine"?

Thanks in advance.

David Ulises

PD. In the task sequence how do I generalize to any machine, because in your tutorial you put the MAC or the GUID of the machine to build and capture thw windows xp image.

+PD. Also, how much memory RAM do I need in the "reference computer" to execute the task sequence without any problem.

Also answering your ask about the task sequence advertisement, I made it to the "Build and Capture Win XP". There I've created a link to the collection "All unknown computers". Do this link can make that the unknown machines also executes the task sequence!?

See ya.

David Ulises

PD. By the way, after you've installed the PXE service point enabling the support to unknown computers, this message showed up to you, too!? :D;)

hi I havnt got access to an R2 server right now, but if i get time i'll do an install.... so I cannot comment about R2's support for unknown computers sorry.

you'll need at least 512mb ram in the XP box otherwise you'll see problems during deployment (windows PE won't like less than 512)

you can see how I created my task sequence for XP here

Yeap..I've looked your guide...the interesting part is that you put an MAC adress when you imported a single computer information.

That MAC adress you put, was from a computer that is already in your SCCM database!?

hummm...hell, about the memory, well I will need to buy another gb to my pc, that it's quite old...so upgrading just the memory doesn't do any improvement... :(

Thanks for the support anyweb...hope to see more guides about this great software.

David Ulises

PD. it will be cool to see that you install the R2version, so many people can look at your guides looking for answers about this new functionality.

Last question...how do you import directly a computer to the database!???....do you just need to put its MAC address??....also, how can I delete a computer from the database!?

And the last..where the hell is that database!? is it the "collections"?

David Ulises

use computer association in the Operating System Deployment section as outlined here

that will allow you to import a computer using its name and mac address or GUID into a collection of your choice, if you are going to deploy then make a collection called deploy XP or deploy Vista or whatever, and advertise your Task Sequence to THAT collection only, that way you only put computers into that collection when they need to be installed....

that database itself is stored on the SQL server you setup as part of the SCCM installation

cheers

anyweb