h4x0r

Update, update, update! CM2012 SP1 + SQL2012 + client updates

Ok, so now that SP1 is out I've wanted to give it a few days and let others do some of the heavy lifting before I jump in :D

Upgrading CM2012 to SP1 seems fairly straightforward enough, but I had some other questions:

What about upgrading to SQL 2012? We're currently on 2008 R2, and as long as I'm updating software, then I figured I should at least consider this. Is there anything I need to know before upgrading my SQL version?

What about CM client updates? We only have a primary server in our environment, and I noted that the option to automatically upgrade clients under the site hierarchy settings was greyed out...I assume this is because we only have a primary site and no CAS. So how are people handling their client updates? Incidentally, our WSUS is controlled by a third-party up-stream server, and I can't manage those settings.

I'm also looking at bumping up the OS to Server 2012 at this time as well...like the title says, there are a lot of updates about to take place. Any input is appreciated!

can you show me a screenshot of your site settings for Automatically upgrade clients....

have you configured any Client Deployment methods ? (sup, client push or other ?)

Here are the screenshots from the site hierarchy settings for automatic client update. We presently only have Client Push enabled, since (as mentioned earlier) our WSUS is managed up-stream by a third party. The client push settings obviously use our network service account, and our own system site code (those tabs were not included in the screen shot).

post-7827-0-40574600-1357692294_thumb.jpg

post-7827-0-14850800-1357692304_thumb.jpg

Hi, I can also confirm that i have the same issue in my lab installation. On the Automatic Client Upgrade all checkboxes are greyed out. I don't have a CAS, single site server, SQL Server 2008R2 and offcorse SP1 RTM. My Client push account is also configured and working.

I found the solution, at least for me...I came across this thread and it occurred to me that I was logged into the console with a different admin level account than what I actually installed SCCM with. This is one case where my installation differs from Nials' guides, in that I used a local admin account to install everything initially. That being the case, I logged on as the local admin and sure enough, the option to allow automatic client updating was available to me. Hope this helps!

As an aside, is there a simple solution to this installation account issue?

As an aside, is there a simple solution to this installation account issue?

just grant the account that you are logged on with the same rights as the installer account (which is basically a full administrator)

full administrator.png

Interestingly enough, the AD security group that I'm a member of is already part of that security role (Full Administrator). I'm going to add my account directly to this role and see if that changes anything.

Thanx a lot. Although i have all the rights with my user, the Field for Automatic Client Upgrade is still greyed out. I found out witch account who installed the lab server, tested with that account and success. Only one administrator is the solution :D:D:D

Thanx alot h4x0r