marlonc1980

SMS_NOTIFICATION_SERVER-FAILED CRITICAL SCCM SP1 SQL 2012 SP1

Question

Hello, I have a primary site and several minor independent with sccm sp1 installed and recently finished a secondary site which has a SMS_NOTIFICATION_SERVER alert. to review the message:

Site Component Manager failed to install this component, because the Microsoft Installer File for this component (bgbisapi.msi) could not install.
Refer to the BgbSetup.log, the bgbisapimsi.log, as well as the ConfigMgr Documentation and the Microsoft Knowledge Base for further information.
==========================
I have the SCCM SP1 with SQL 2012 sp1 other sites are ok, no faults
According to this page the sql sp1 is compatible
=================================
BOBSETUP.LOG
<01/30/13 13:39:45> ======== Completed Installation of Pre Reqs for Role SMSBGB ========
<01/30/13 13:39:45> Installing the SMSBGB
<01/30/13 13:39:45> Passed OS version check.
<01/30/13 13:39:45> IIS Service is installed.
<01/30/13 13:39:45> No versions of SMSBGB are installed. Installing new SMSBGB.
<01/30/13 13:39:45> Enabling MSI logging. bgbisapi.msi will log to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\logs\bgbisapiMSI.log
<01/30/13 13:39:45> Installing C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\bin\x64\bgbisapi.msi CCMINSTALLDIR="C:\Program Files\SMS_CCM" CCMSERVERDATAROOT="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager" USESMSPORTS=TRUE SMSPORTS=80 USESMSSSLPORTS=TRUE SMSSSLPORTS=443 USESMSSSL=TRUE SMSSSLSTATE=0 CCMENABLELOGGING=TRUE CCMLOGLEVEL=1 CCMLOGMAXSIZE=1000000 CCMLOGMAXHISTORY=1
<01/30/13 13:39:48> bgbisapi.msi exited with return code: 0
<01/30/13 13:39:48> Installation was successful.
<01/30/13 13:39:48> CTool::RegisterComPlusService: run command line: "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\RegSvcs.exe" /u "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\bin\x64\microsoft.configurationmanager.bgbserverchannel.dll"
<01/30/13 13:40:02> CTool::RegisterComPlusService: Failed to unregister C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\bin\x64\microsoft.configurationmanager.bgbserverchannel.dll with .Net Fx 4.0
<01/30/13 13:40:02> CTool::RegisterComPlusService: run command line: "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\RegSvcs.exe" /extlb /tlb:"C:\Program Files\SMS_CCM\microsoft.configurationmanager.bgbserverchannel.tlb" "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\bin\x64\microsoft.configurationmanager.bgbserverchannel.dll"
<01/30/13 13:40:09> Successfully registered BGB server channel DLL C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\bin\x64\microsoft.configurationmanager.bgbserverchannel.dll
<01/30/13 13:40:09> CTool::InstallManagedAssembly: run command line: "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\InstallUtil.exe" "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\bin\x64\microsoft.configurationmanager.bgbserverchannel.dll"
<01/30/13 13:40:12> Successfully installed BGB server channel DLL C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\bin\x64\microsoft.configurationmanager.bgbserverchannel.dll
<01/30/13 13:40:12> VERBOSE: GetAccountNameFromSID: LookupAccountSid succeeded. Result = NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
<01/30/13 13:40:12> VERBOSE: GetAccountNameFromSID: LookupAccountSid succeeded. Result = NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE
<01/30/13 13:40:12> VERBOSE: GetAccountNameFromSID: LookupAccountSid succeeded. Result = NT AUTHORITY\IUSR
<01/30/13 13:40:12> Successfully configured BGB server application
<01/30/13 13:40:12> CreateProcess: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager, C:\Windows\system32\inetsrv\appcmd.exe set config "Default Web Site/bgb" -section:system.webServer/serverRuntime /appConcurrentRequestLimit:"25600" /maxRequestEntityAllowed:"16384" /commit:apphost
<01/30/13 13:40:13> CreateProcess: 0
<01/30/13 13:40:13> CreateProcess: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager, C:\Windows\system32\inetsrv\appcmd.exe set apppool "CCM Client Notification Proxy Pool" /autoStart:true
<01/30/13 13:40:13> CreateProcess: 0
<01/30/13 13:40:13> CreateProcess: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager, C:\Windows\system32\inetsrv\appcmd.exe start apppool "CCM Client Notification Proxy Pool"
<01/30/13 13:40:14> CreateProcess: 0
<01/30/13 13:40:14> ~RoleSetup().
--------------------
-----------------
bgbisapi.ms
MSI (s) (60:28) [13:39:48:465]: Product: BGB http proxy -- Installation operation completed successfully.
MSI (s) (60:28) [13:39:48:465]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: BGB http proxy. Product Version: 5.00.7804.1000. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation. Installation success or error status: 0.
MSI (s) (60:28) [13:39:48:467]: Deferring clean up of packages/files, if any exist
MSI (s) (60:28) [13:39:48:467]: MainEngineThread is returning 0
MSI (s) (60:B0) [13:39:48:469]: RESTART MANAGER: Session closed.
MSI (s) (60:B0) [13:39:48:469]: No System Restore sequence number for this installation.
=== Logging stopped: 1/30/2013 13:39:48 ===
MSI (s) (60:B0) [13:39:48:470]: User policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
MSI (s) (60:B0) [13:39:48:470]: Machine policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
MSI (s) (60:B0) [13:39:48:470]: Incrementing counter to disable shutdown. Counter after increment: 0
MSI (s) (60:B0) [13:39:48:470]: Note: 1: 1402 2: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Rollback\Scripts 3: 2
MSI (s) (60:B0) [13:39:48:471]: Note: 1: 1402 2: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Rollback\Scripts 3: 2
MSI (s) (60:B0) [13:39:48:471]: Decrementing counter to disable shutdown. If counter >= 0, shutdown will be denied. Counter after decrement: -1
MSI (s) (60:B0) [13:39:48:471]: Restoring environment variables
MSI (s) (60:B0) [13:39:48:472]: Destroying RemoteAPI object.
MSI (s) (60:84) [13:39:48:472]: Custom Action Manager thread ending.
MSI © (6C:24) [13:39:48:472]: Decrementing counter to disable shutdown. If counter >= 0, shutdown will be denied. Counter after decrement: -1
MSI © (6C:24) [13:39:48:473]: MainEngineThread is returning 0
=== Verbose logging stopped: 1/30/2013 13:39:48 ===

zerahzurc - For me i found logs/Event Manager showing that "Distributed Transaction Coordinator" was not started. After i started this service, i then cycled the "SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER" service.

Thanks for you reply Dave23.

I found the error in my case. As I used notepad to edit those XML files, something went wrong and it was presenting the invalid XML file error when trying to run RegSvcs.exe.

I've recreated both files using XMLMarker, a free tool from Symbolclick and now it worked.

Hope this helps someone else...

Had the same issue had to open a support case due to deadline.

I worked with a Microsoft engineer on the case. The issue is now resolved. The problem was due to the server not being part of a local security group that caused it to not install a function. We reviewed several logs to isolate the problem. The Microsoft engineer approached this from a "what is the expected outcome" rather than just the specified error code. Before this was fixed all of my EU desktops were showing up inactive and with no inventory, and no historical data. Now everything works properly.
Details below
Had Microsoft review my settings on support call

confirmed boundaries were correct.
Discovery groups and settings are correct.
Secondary site settings and roles are correct.
Overall health of SCCM is correct.
Site hierarchy is correct
Server installation procedure is correct.
Server SCCM patch installation is correct.
Site to site functions are correct, however we have to double check logs to make sure all components are correct. Since imaging and remote controlling are functioning there might be a component error as initially suspected.

We isolated a machine in one office, and reviewed log files (inventoryagent.log and others)
confirmed that the machine is sending it logs files to management point.

We then took a look at log files on the servers to further isolate the issue.

<PROBLEM SECONDARY SITE SERVER>
U_ex***.log – iis server logs
Compmon.log – component information including installation
Perfsetup.log – performance counter information
Mpfdm.log - Moves client files to the corresponding SMS\INBOXES folder
Mp_Hinv.log to confirm that the mp is receiving and processing inventory
dataldr.log – logs .mif file processing for inventory on primary site

<PRIMARY SCCM SERVER>
dataldr.log – logs .mif file processing for inventory on primary site
dataldr.lo_ - logs .mif file processing for inventory on primary site

We noticed that the associated .mif file for the desktop machine was not present on <PRIMARY SCCM SERVER>. ( search on ConfigMgr\inboxes\auth\dataldr.box )

We reviewed additional logs and found errors in the
compmon.log files

We concluded that there is a communication error between <PROBLEM SECONDARY SITE SERVER> and <PRIMARY SCCM SERVER>, since the inventory logs were present and processing on <PROBLEM SECONDARY SITE SERVER>. Deeper analysis of the logs pointed us to the root communication issue between <PROBLEM SECONDARY SITE SERVER>
Local administrators group was correct with <PRIMARY SCCM SERVER> and <PROBLEM SECONDARY SITE SERVER> added.

The sitecomp & compmon logs were reviewed further and we found some additional issue with components not installing fully.
Per one of the logs we see a failed installation and a removal of the server from a local group.
<PROBLEM SECONDARY SITE SERVER> was being removed from a local group – SMS_SiteToSiteConnection_[sITECODE]
We added the server back to the group and restarted the SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER service.
Once this was restarted we reviewed the logs again.

<PROBLEM SECONDARY SITE SERVER> started processing and completing any installation of missing components. Exit codes-0 for completed installations.
Sender.log started showing progress in transmitting the inventory and collected data from the workstations.

Results
BGB installed correctly.
<PROBLEM SECONDARY SITE SERVER> – shows green status in component settings in SCCM Console
Refreshed the SCCM Console on <PRIMARY SCCM SERVER>
<SECONDARY SITE> machines were now listed with the correct management point – <PROBLEM SECONDARY SITE SERVER> and are now showing as active.
Software deployment status has been updated for EU offices.

I am having the same issue on my site. I also installed ConfigMgr to the D:\ drive and not C:\. I have tried editing the 2 files: InstallUtil.exe.config and regsvcs.exe.config located in: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319

I used Visual Studio 2010, as well as an attempt with Notepad to edit these files to include the lines stated above. Here is the regsvcs.exe.config

<?xml version ="1.0"?>
<configuration>
<startup useLegacyV2RuntimeActivationPolicy="true">
<requiredRuntime safemode="true" imageVersion="v4.0.30319" version="v4.0.30319"/>
</startup>
<runtime>
<loadFromRemoteSources enabled="true"/>
</runtime>
</configuration>

After doing this i tried both restarting the SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER windows service as well as reinstalling the MP (I have a small environment with 1 site server, which serves all roles). The MP installs just fine, and MPsetup.log shows no errors. Once the MP is finished installing the BGBsetup kicks off, this is where i begin to see errors.

Here is an error from BgbSetup.log:

<12/04/14 11:14:36> ======== Completed Installation of Pre Reqs for Role SMSBGB ========
<12/04/14 11:14:36> Installing the SMSBGB
<12/04/14 11:14:36> Passed OS version check.
<12/04/14 11:14:36> IIS Service is installed.
<12/04/14 11:14:36> No versions of SMSBGB are installed. Installing new SMSBGB.
<12/04/14 11:14:36> Enabling MSI logging. bgbisapi.msi will log to D:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\logs\bgbisapiMSI.log
<12/04/14 11:14:36> Installing D:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\bin\x64\bgbisapi.msi CCMINSTALLDIR="D:\Program Files\SMS_CCM" CCMSERVERDATAROOT="D:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager" USESMSPORTS=TRUE SMSPORTS=80 USESMSSSLPORTS=TRUE SMSSSLPORTS=443 USESMSSSL=TRUE SMSSSLSTATE=0 CCMENABLELOGGING=TRUE CCMLOGLEVEL=1 CCMLOGMAXSIZE=1000000 CCMLOGMAXHISTORY=1
<12/04/14 11:14:42> bgbisapi.msi exited with return code: 0
<12/04/14 11:14:42> Installation was successful.
<12/04/14 11:14:42> CTool::RegisterComPlusService: run command line: "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\RegSvcs.exe" /u "D:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\bin\x64\microsoft.configurationmanager.bgbserverchannel.dll"
<12/04/14 11:14:45> CTool::RegisterComPlusService: Failed to unregister D:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\bin\x64\microsoft.configurationmanager.bgbserverchannel.dll with .Net Fx 4.0
<12/04/14 11:14:45> CTool::RegisterComPlusService: run command line: "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\RegSvcs.exe" /extlb /tlb:"D:\Program Files\SMS_CCM\microsoft.configurationmanager.bgbserverchannel.tlb" "D:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\bin\x64\microsoft.configurationmanager.bgbserverchannel.dll"
<12/04/14 11:14:49> Successfully registered BGB server channel DLL D:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\bin\x64\microsoft.configurationmanager.bgbserverchannel.dll
<12/04/14 11:14:49> CTool::InstallManagedAssembly: run command line: "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\InstallUtil.exe" "D:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\bin\x64\microsoft.configurationmanager.bgbserverchannel.dll"
<12/04/14 11:14:52> Successfully installed BGB server channel DLL D:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\bin\x64\microsoft.configurationmanager.bgbserverchannel.dll
<12/04/14 11:14:53> VERBOSE: GetAccountNameFromSID: LookupAccountSid succeeded. Result = NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
<12/04/14 11:14:54> VERBOSE: GetAccountNameFromSID: LookupAccountSid succeeded. Result = NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE
<12/04/14 11:14:54> VERBOSE: GetAccountNameFromSID: LookupAccountSid succeeded. Result = NT AUTHORITY\IUSR
<12/04/14 11:14:55> Successfully configured BGB server application
<12/04/14 11:14:55> CreateProcess: D:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager, C:\Windows\system32\inetsrv\appcmd.exe set config "Default Web Site/bgb" -section:system.webServer/serverRuntime /appConcurrentRequestLimit:"25600" /maxRequestEntityAllowed:"16384" /commit:apphost
<12/04/14 11:14:56> CreateProcess: 0
<12/04/14 11:14:56> CreateProcess: D:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager, C:\Windows\system32\inetsrv\appcmd.exe set apppool "CCM Client Notification Proxy Pool" /autoStart:true
<12/04/14 11:14:56> CreateProcess: D:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager, C:\Windows\system32\inetsrv\appcmd.exe start apppool "CCM Client Notification Proxy Pool"
<12/04/14 11:14:56> ~RoleSetup().

I have restarted the services, reinstalled the MP, rebooted the server....still no such luck. The SMS_NOTIFICATION_SERVER component still reports that the server failed to connect to the site database. Does anyone have any ideas for me? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you

I am having the same issue on my site. I also installed ConfigMgr to the D:\ drive and not C:\. I have tried editing the 2 files: InstallUtil.exe.config and regsvcs.exe.config located in: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319

I used Visual Studio 2010, as well as an attempt with Notepad to edit these files to include the lines stated above. Here is the regsvcs.exe.config

After doing this i tried both restarting the SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER windows service as well as reinstalling the MP (I have a small environment with 1 site server, which serves all roles). The MP installs just fine, and MPsetup.log shows no errors. Once the MP is finished installing the BGBsetup kicks off, this is where i begin to see errors.

Here is an error from BgbSetup.log:

I have restarted the services, reinstalled the MP, rebooted the server....still no such luck. The SMS_NOTIFICATION_SERVER component still reports that the server failed to connect to the site database. Does anyone have any ideas for me? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you

We also tried the above solutions but they didn't help.

In our system the problem was a corruption in Windows performance counter library.

Run this command in an Administrator CMD:

cd C:\WINDOWS\system32

lodctr /R

You should see a success message after the above command.

Then restart SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER and see if it works.

BR

Achim

This solution worked for me but I had troubles to editing the InstallUtil.exe.config so I ran installtakeownership form the zip file, do the job and then removetakeownership then the msi installed like a charm and the SMS_NOTIFICATION_SERVER went up and running.

Harmen

TakeOwnership.zip

I know I'm bumping an old one, but I finally have something that migh help someone else. I edited the RegSrvc.exe.config with Notepad and the line where "<loadFromRemoteSources enabled="true"/> " it looked like double quotes, but after more than a year of fighting this I saw the post from zerahzurc that says he had to use and XML editor instead of notepad. Downloaded the editor he mentioned and as it opened the file it showed it couldn't parse the "true" because it was expecting quotes. In the editor they looked like asterisks. Changed it and restarted the SMS_EXUTIVE Site Service. Then the SMS_WSUS_SYNC_MANAGER "couldn't download all files" went away and the SMS_NOTIFICATION_SERVER also installed. Cleared out the only errors I had. left in "monitoring".

Edited by Darcfyre

Hello All, 

I ran into this problem as well when trying to install the SUP Role.  I see the work around. After coming across this blog about this topic, i dug deep to understand the problem and what the work around works and is needed. 

Answer: 

The reason we get this error: Failed to Register …with .Net Fx 4.0  is because when enabling the Server Feature .Net 4.5 Framework, the install process provides an option to use an alternative source for fetching the files to install .Net. When you skip this option, that’s when you can potentially get the failed to register .Net 4.0 and 2.0. 2.0 gets installed with 4.0 is selected for installation.

So, if you ensure to use the alternative option to install .Net, this issue won’t happen.

The workaround I decided to use was to remove the .net 4.0 feature, Reboot, then reinstall .net 4.0 using the alternative option.

I then attempt to push the SUP Role out again, and it was successful.