Naraka

imagex not mounting working wim image

Question

Trying to mount a WIM image created through the WDS assisted capturing process, which does work in terms of deploying it through WDS onto another computer.

I want to include additional drivers (*.inf files into \windows\inf and *.sys and any additional files into \windows\system32) as I noticed as was able to do this with my capture and deploy WIM PE images for WDS. Had a problem on some computers that the deploy WDS PE boot image does not recognize the network card. First followed the instructions to inject the drivers but this did not work out at all hence getting desperate and just copying the files to the respective directories in the \windows folder.

I wanna use the same method to ensure that my Windows XP WIM image will be "buffed" up with all the neccessary drivers I will be needing for the different network cards in the organization. Unless there is another elegant or if there is any future issues I do not know about please let me know.

When I run the command i get the following error:

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86>imagex /mountrw c:\xp.wim 1 c:\Temp

ImageX Tool for Windows
Copyright © Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved.

Mounting (RW): [c:\xp.wim, 1] ->
              [c:\Temp]

Error mounting image (RW):

The system cannot find the file specified.

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86>

Tried different directories, checked permissions, tried without the image number and also tried with the /check switch but get the same error.

Any suggestions?

PS: What is the deal with the captured image file having a .wim and .rwm file while the "normal" images have only a .wim file?

3 answers to this question

it can't find the file

The system cannot find the file specified.

so is the wim called xp.wim and is it in the path you specified ?