Aidenpry

Please help!

I have read and read a lot of web pages trying to figure out how to set up my remote access with window 2008. I have ran into brick wall. This is for my home business and I really need this up and running. Please help me. I hired a someone to help me with my business and promised him he can work right out of his home and this is killing me, due to he does not live any where near me and he needs to have access to my server to do his job.

Ok.. First I have set up server computer, which is connected behind router. then I have 3 computers on local network. I also have 2 laptops that needs to connect with Remote access. I have no problem with my local network. I can access my server computer through remote access with no problem. My issue is trying to get my laptop to connect when I am not home. I even bought terminal services license CAP to allow 5 client computer to access my server, because they told me I had to have it. Mind you.. it was not cheap.

I think the issue is creating a domain. Do I need to buy a web address to allow my computer to connect to my server comp via internet? I can't seem to click on domain option on set up. it only allow me to choose local. Please help!!!! every info I found assumes I have a domain already and It not helpful. if you have step by step links that would be really helpful.

just RDP to the wan IP address of the server, have you tried that ?

If you mean by input ip address of my server computer, then yes. Like I said, it is behind my router. so.. do I put then ip of my router? If so um... :unsure: how do I get that ip address?

no not the ip address of the router,

do these steps

1. on the server open a web browser and goto http://www.whatismyip.com

2. on the ROUTER, you need to forward TCP port 3389 to the LOCAL ip address of the server

3. now you can attempt to RDP to the ip address obtained in #1 above from a computer outside of your lan (eg: on the wan...)

no not the ip address of the router,

do these steps

1. on the server open a web browser and goto http://www.whatismyip.com

2. on the ROUTER, you need to forward TCP port 3389 to the LOCAL ip address of the server

3. now you can attempt to RDP to the ip address obtained in #1 above from a computer outside of your lan (eg: on the wan...)

so... even though I couldn't choose Domain option on set up, I can still access it with my laptops via this option? So where it asks for computer name, i just input ip address instead of computer name? also how do i foward ip from my router?

most routers are different, so i'd need to know the model name of yours to tell you how... so what is it ?

most routers are different, so i'd need to know the model name of yours to tell you how... so what is it ?

sorry for the late reply. I had a customer with me. Wireless-G Broadband Router WRT54G2 modle. Thanks for all your help.

looks like this is how to do it, except you dont need a port RANGE you just need to forward the port i mentioned above

http://portforward.com/english/routers/por...G2/Utorrent.htm

cheers

anyweb

It has been long day for me. using the IP address as you have instructed did not work as well. Maybe it has to do with my ts cal. How do I assign these to my users in window 2008?

forget about the TS cal's, you need to get port forwarding to work first, did you manage to port forward TCP port 3389 from your ROUTER to your SERVER's local ip address ?