murda

Creating a base vista image

Question

Hi,

I just installed Vista Enterprise from DVD.

I configured some options like language,keyboard layout, desktop image and so on...

I copied the prepped profile towards the default profile. (also tested to see if it worked when i logged in with another account)

Next step was creating a capture media cd for my laptop and a hour later my system was captured.

I configured the captured vista.wim file in sccm and build a TS with the captured image.

So far so good and the TS has been applied towards the laptop and was fully installed from SCCM deploy.

Now i see that i forgot to set the IE options: homepage & proxy etc...

Can I fix this without rebuilding a new image? Can it be fixed with an unattend.xml, this can be set in the TS - apply operating system - use an unattend file ... for custum installation ?

be the first to post about it here, try and see how far you get :)

I will and I'll get you updated.

Some question seems to be logic but I am on a time based project so I am not able to test everything and thats why I ask questions that maybe seems logic to the pro's ;)

Only started with SCCM 3 months ago but its been a steep learning curve :)

An additional question.

I captured an ACTIVATED vista OS that was been prepped.

Now when I deploy to another laptop, the OS isn't activated ... (we are working with KMS server)

Question is should I generate a newSID when deploying the vista base image??? And then activate my machine on the KMS server??

Or is this newSID generated when you deploy your base vista image? :blink:

sidenote: normally we ghost our new vista laptops and then execute a batch file that generates a newSID,reboots and activates vista towards the KMS...

so the question is do I need to generate a new SID everytime i deploy an new image? I know we had to do it with ghost or when we copied a VM.

An additional question.

I captured an ACTIVATED vista OS that was been prepped.

Now when I deploy to another laptop, the OS isn't activated ... (we are working with KMS server)

Question is should I generate a newSID when deploying the vista base image??? And then activate my machine on the KMS server??

Or is this newSID generated when you deploy your base vista image? :blink:

sidenote: normally we ghost our new vista laptops and then execute a batch file that generates a newSID,reboots and activates vista towards the KMS...

so the question is do I need to generate a new SID everytime i deploy an new image? I know we had to do it with ghost or when we copied a VM.

Oké this question has been answered.

if you captured using SCCM capture CD, the image has been syspreped, and therefore the SID has been reset.. So you no not have to do anytning about SID

Michael Petersen

Hmm I do love to see if you succeed adding the unattend.xml file. I added it as package to SCCM. Then made a distribution points of a folder with unattend.xml inside it. I then added the unattend.xml file in the task sequence you refered to. But for now I didn't got able to get a succesfull deployment with unattend.

I wanted the same things but then to configure everything in unattend like keyboard settings, as homepage, as time zone, and other settings. I dont know why he doesn't take the xml file with its settings, when i added in the task sequance.

But if you find out more then me let me know to. I'm also looking further on this to get it working cause we all need Belgian keybaord settings. And a zero touch deployment is supposed to be really zero touch, and they made it a bit complicate in sccm for these kind of things.

try adding your settings to Collection Variables instead,

much easier to manage,

for example create a collection variable called TimeZone and give it a value of 110

then do a deployment and watch what the timezone ends up being set to

cheers

anyweb

try adding your settings to Collection Variables instead,

much easier to manage,

for example create a collection variable called TimeZone and give it a value of 110

then do a deployment and watch what the timezone ends up being set to

cheers

anyweb

Where can I find more variables like "timezone" with the matching "values" ?

Is there a list on technet?

whatever you can see in unattend.xml or sysprep.inf should be able to be substituted as a collection variable as long as you do a Gather (ztigather) beforehand and Configure (zticonfigure) afterwards

both scripts are part of the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit and already present in a standard MDT task sequence

start your testing by doing TimeZone first, then when you have it working, expand by adding one more variable at a time,

here are the values for timezone by the way (scroll down)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772783.aspx

cheers

anyweb

whatever you can see in unattend.xml or sysprep.inf should be able to be substituted as a collection variable as long as you do a Gather (ztigather) beforehand and Configure (zticonfigure) afterwards

both scripts are part of the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit and already present in a standard MDT task sequence

start your testing by doing TimeZone first, then when you have it working, expand by adding one more variable at a time,

here are the values for timezone by the way (scroll down)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772783.aspx

cheers

anyweb

I am right if you need to add those in unattend.xml. where you put variable in place of where you normally put time zone. In the form off %timezone%.

That if you have configured your variable timezone in the collection.