anyweb

Setup cannot copy the operating system image you selected

Question

after completing a successful RIPREP on a Intel SOLO processor laptop I then decided to PXE boot the machine and RIPREP the image back on to it, however after logging in to the RIS server I could NOT see the RIPREP image that I had just done,

after soom googling (ok, lots) I found out that the

HalName=halmacpi.dll

line in RIPREP.SIF file was causing the image to not be listed. The suggested fix was to delete that line altogether, so I did, saved the file and rebooted. This time it DID list the image but when I chose to use that image shortly afterwords the file copying stopped and I got the following error

Setup cannot copy the operating system image you selected"

"This computer uses a different HAL"

"The signature of the original HAL is ACPI 1.0 Platform UP"

"The signature of your HAL is ACPI 1.0 Platform MP".

So, next I change the

HalName=halmacpi.dll

line to

HalName=halaacpi.dll

to see if that would alleviate the problem, it didnät (yet another error).

After some more googling I found out that RIPREP relies on two files initially to decide what hal to use in setup,

they are located in

D:\RemoteInstall\Setup\English\Images\NEWIMAGE\i386\Mirror1

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...x.mspx?mfr=true

IMirror.dat and BootCode.dat

I opened IMirror.dat with notepad and saw that in there it referred to

M u l t i p r o c e s s o r F r e e A C P I 1 . 0 - A P I C p l a t f o r m M P \ M i r r o r 1 \ U s e r D a t a \ D e v i c e \ H a r d d i s k 0 \ P a r t i t i o n 2 m u l t i ( 0 ) d i s k ( 0 ) r d i s k ( 0 ) p a r t i t i o n ( 2 )

I tried to manually edit this to read U n i p r o c e s s o r F r e e A C P I 1 . 0 - A P I C p l a t f o r m U P \ M i r r but that didnt work either.

I knew there were some older machines on this RIS server that most likely were single cpu machines, so I copied the IMirror.dat from one of those machines and replaced my one,

I then started PXE boot to the riprep server again, and this time it WORKED,

this is not a supported hack by any means but it worked for me,

We also used a freeware utility to edit the file by hand (WINHEX 3.x) and manually changed the MULTI to UNI but it didnät work (yet).

cheers

anyweb

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet