ms-admin

cm07 osd TS not migrating to cm12r2 - mdt 2010 problem!

Hi, i need to migrate a number of cm07 osd task sequences to cm12 and they fail everytime on incompatible steps as i have mdt2010 installed on the cm07 primary. I wondered if anyone can advise on the easiest way to migrate these please?

i've read that the easiest way is to:

1. upgrade cm07 to mdt 2012u1,

2. upgrade all the cm07 TS,

3. install and integrate mdt2012u1 to the cm12r2 primary,

4. and then migrate TS from cm07 to cm12r2,

is this right or is there a better way? and can anyone point me to some instructions on the upgrade of mdt2010 to mdt2012u1 as well as how to upgrade the TS on cm07? i ask because i've read that it can be tricky to do! thanks.

if your cm07 environment has mdt steps in the task sequences, then remove those steps first (it won't migrate the task sequence otherwise) then migrate the task sequence (minus the MDT steps) using CM migration task, then add-back the missing MDT steps with your chosen version of MDT integrated with CM12.

Hi and thanks for the advice. i was going to try it but found that my migration had stopped and wouldn't restart. i had already migrated lots of items without issue and made no changes to the cm07 environment but i kept getting error:

-----------------------------------------------

SMS_MIGRATION_MANAGER

SMS Executive detected that this component stopped unexpectedly.

Possible cause: The component is experiencing a severe problem that caused it to stop unexpectedly.
Solution: Refer to your ConfigMgr Documentation or the Microsoft Knowledge Base for further troubleshooting

information.

-----------------------------------------------

i tried a few things without any luck. i googled it and couldn't find much on the net about the error but this one post was enough. i didnt use the .dll on that website but tried re-registering my current .dll first. after a reboot my migration is working again. i thought someone may find this useful. now i can try what you suggested...

Hi, i removed the mdt2010 steps and the TS migrate ok. but when i try to create an mdt2012 boot image i get the error "could not find a part of the path 'c:\tools\petools\x86\winpe_fps'". i've searched all hard drives and these folders arn't present. are there any workrounds or do i have to install mdt2013?

if i try to create an mdt client settings TS, i can't create a new boot image package as the option is greyed out.

i presume you are trying to create an MDT boot image from within Configuration Manager ? what vesion of configuration Manager is it and what version of MDT have you installed ?

the problem you have is actually a bug, see the solution here.

Hi, i was trying to create the mdt boot image from within the config manager console. and i have cm2012r2 (with adk 8.100.26020) and mdt 2012u1 installed as i was originally going to try and upgrade and export my cm07 task sequences. i have tried what james suggested and have run as administrator and that didn't work for me. so today i will try installing aik onto another server and copying the tools folders to the appropriate path on my cm12 server. i'll let you know what happens!

update: i installed waik 3.1 on another server and then copied the tools folder over to my primary and that prevented that error but then it stops later in the process. but the only way to get through the whole mdt integration successfully was to install the waik 3.1 onto the cm12 primary even though adk 8.1 is already there. now i've recreated the task sequences and my clients are deploying ok. thanks for your help anyweb.