KuifJe

OSD fails after initial PXE boot

Question

I've followed the deploy Vista steps untill step 5. And then the frustrations are piling up...

To start off, the machine I'm using to build and capture a Vista image is a virtual machine build on Hyper-V.

I've created a VM with a 40 GB disk, 2 procs and 512MB memory. It's also configured for PXE boot.

That's not the problem really, I've booted into the PE environment countless times.

However if the machine is done booting into PE it will reboot itself (after aprox. 6 minutes) it will then continue to abortpxe.com and fail to boot all together. Only way to get it going again is to clear the PXE boot advertisement and let it go at it again. This will start the above procedure all over again...

Any ideas? What .log could give me a clue as to what is happening?

:angry:

[edit]

I've used an IDE drive for the VM so that shouldnt be a problem either

[/edit]

5 answers to this question

I've followed the deploy Vista steps untill step 5. And then the frustrations are piling up...

To start off, the machine I'm using to build and capture a Vista image is a virtual machine build on Hyper-V.

I've created a VM with a 40 GB disk, 2 procs and 512MB memory. It's also configured for PXE boot.

That's not the problem really, I've booted into the PE environment countless times.

However if the machine is done booting into PE it will reboot itself (after aprox. 6 minutes) it will then continue to abortpxe.com and fail to boot all together. Only way to get it going again is to clear the PXE boot advertisement and let it go at it again. This will start the above procedure all over again...

Any ideas? What .log could give me a clue as to what is happening?

:angry:

[edit]

I've used an IDE drive for the VM so that shouldnt be a problem either

[/edit]

You should got to you boot images you have created inside SCCM and enable F8 functionallity so you can check out the SMSTS.log file.

Also when F8 functionality is enabled, type in ipconfig to check if you get an IP.

Second I would recommend rechecking your Computer Client Settings and see if the Network Access Account is set and not empty. This setting can sometimes be configured without it saving the Network AccesS Account. Just see that thisone is definitly filled in.

<Msg SchemaVersion="1.1" ReplyCompression="zlib"><ID/><SourceID>3621dd4d-2bf0-49a1-a9f2-7f15dbe58cd7</SourceID><SourceHost/><TargetAddress>mp:[http]MP_ClientIDManager</TargetAddress><ReplyTo>direct:OSD</ReplyTo><Priority>3</Priority><Timeout>3600</Timeout><SentTime>2009-06-23T00:28:46Z</SentTime><Protocol>http</Protocol><Body Type="ByteRange" Offset="0" Length="306"/><Hooks/><Payload Type="inline"/><TargetHost/><TargetEndpoint>MP_ClientIDManager</TargetEndpoint><ReplyMode>Sync</ReplyMode><CorrelationID/></Msg>
TSPxe	6/22/2009 4:28:46 PM	1304 (0x0518)
CLibSMSMessageWinHttpTransport::Send: URL: W2K8-SCCM.xxx.xxx:80  CCM_POST /ccm_system/request	TSPxe	6/22/2009 4:28:46 PM	1304 (0x0518)
Error. Received 0x80072ee7 from WinHttpSendRequest.	TSPxe	6/22/2009 4:28:46 PM	1304 (0x0518)
unknown host (gethostbyname failed)	TSPxe	6/22/2009 4:28:46 PM	1304 (0x0518)
hr, HRESULT=80072ee7 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\framework\osdmessaging\libsmsmessaging.cpp,7714)	TSPxe	6/22/2009 4:28:46 PM	1304 (0x0518)
sending with winhttp failed; 80072ee7	TSPxe	6/22/2009 4:28:46 PM	1304 (0x0518)
Will retry in 6 second(s)	TSPxe	6/22/2009 4:28:46 PM	1304 (0x0518)
Retrying...	TSPxe	6/22/2009 4:28:52 PM	1304 (0x0518)

This is the part in the log where it goed wrong.

I tried the F8 option, but that shows me connectivity to all relevant servers. Will google this and see if I can get somewhere, any help still appreciated though ;-)

Solved!

I messed up with DHCP configuration apparently. I only configured scope options and removed the server options in the DHCP server. After reinstalling the DHCP scope and leaving all the options as standard it all went flawless!

Next step ... native parent - child configurations...

Any nice and graphically explained tutorials somewhere :P