joeman1881

Office 2013 - Updates killing OSD time

Question

Hello,

I am trying to find the best practice for deploying office during OSD. It seems like the updates are stacking up and seem to be around 30-40 since SP1. My techs are complaining that it adds another 20-30 minutes to their "profiling" of the machines, because Software Center will automatically begin receiving updates once the machine connects to the server.

Anyone else run into this issue, or have a solution to correct this? I have the Check for Updates Line in my Task Sequence, but for some reason, it doesn't appear to really get the updates or check for available deployments during OSD.

Thanks in advance,

-Joe

4 answers to this question

Hi,

And if you have a SLA to uphold sometimes adding Office to the master image actually isn't a bad idea as it takes a long time to deploy, even with the updates in the Office packages.

Regards,
Jörgen

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc178995(v=office.15).aspx#TestVerifyMSP

Follow these instructions to add the updates to your Office deployment package. They will install during the Office install as opposed to when the clients check into the system.

This is perfect, thank you! I just tried it out late yesterday and went off without a hitch.

Hi,

And if you have a SLA to uphold sometimes adding Office to the master image actually isn't a bad idea as it takes a long time to deploy, even with the updates in the Office packages.

Regards,

Jörgen

The only reason I can't do this is we deploy different versions tiers of office apps, and I don't want our images to become extremely convoluted. I definitely thought about this though, but ultimately I'd still run into windows update issues I think.