JWiginton

Anyone know how to get USMT 4.0 to set a hard-link store in ConfMgr 07 SP2?

Question

After a bit of struggle this past week and scrapping my previous VM setup from Microsoft and just building a machine for it, I finally got my test client to migrate from XP to Win 7. Now, I need to know how to set it up so the USMT 4.0 that I downloaded as part of the Windows AIK for Windows 7 RC will hard-link the files on the target computer as part of the migration. I have created a USMT package in my ConfigMgr server and specify it in the task, but it's just not working. I saw this screen shot on the web and I want to know how to get all these options for capturing the user state.

http://windowsteamblog.com/cfs-filesystemf...00_5F59B1D0.jpg

Any help you all can give me I'd REALLY appreciate it. I've spent hours searching Google with no luck.

Edit: just use the following

http://www.petervanderwoude.nl/category/USMT-40.aspx

OSDMigrateAdditionalCaptureOptions: Specifies the extra options needed to perform a hard-link migration capture and must include /nocompress /hardlink. This Task Sequence Variable must be set before the step: Capture User Files and Settings.

you can add /lac to that to append...

this is great, well done on figuring it out, i'll be sure to return to this topic when i get the chance to test this,

however, microsoft recommend that we DON't edit the mdt files directly, but instead apply changes via other methods...

ie: to add additional command lines like /lac we need to customise that via the task sequence

i've got that someone on my lab server and will find it and post it here later

but that's for this info, it's great !

Thanks. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to work any other way. I checked the option to create the local accounts on the Restore User State task, but it still would fail because /lac wasn't set by the script and I don't know enough about scripting or Config Manager to make it work the way that I needed it to. I was just happy that I got it to work. If you figure out another way, let me know and I'll be happy to test it while I've still got my testbed environment up. My next step though, once I can start downloading the RTM code through my eOpen and EA agreements will be testing this in my production environment, but lock the task sequence away from my users.

Thanks. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to work any other way. I checked the option to create the local accounts on the Restore User State task, but it still would fail because /lac wasn't set by the script and I don't know enough about scripting or Config Manager to make it work the way that I needed it to. I was just happy that I got it to work. If you figure out another way, let me know and I'll be happy to test it while I've still got my testbed environment up. My next step though, once I can start downloading the RTM code through my eOpen and EA agreements will be testing this in my production environment, but lock the task sequence away from my users.

Hi guys cant we do this with out mdt???? can any 1 let me know that plzzzzzzzzzzz

I finally had my first successful test runs with Windows 7 and USMT 4 today. It was a pain, but I got it. I have exported my task sequence for everyone and I will be showing you exactly what I had to modify to make it work 100%.

I created a Custom Microsoft Deployment Toolkit task which I've attached below, along with a screenshot.

post-3404-124941172623_thumb.jpg

After you create your MDT Toolkit Package as part of the new MDT Task Sequence wizard, DO NOT Distribute it yet. Instead navigate to the Scripts folder where your toolkit files are created and locate a file called ZTIUserState.wsf. You'll need to make one edit to the file in Notepad.

Look for this section in the file:

'//----------------------------------------------------------------------------
	'//  See what we need to do
	'//----------------------------------------------------------------------------

and you'll find this several lines down:

' Configure the default options

If sUSMTVersion = "USMT4" and UCase(oEnvironment.Item("UserDataLocation")) = "AUTO" Then
			sBaseArgs = oEnvironment.Item("LoadStateArgs") & "/hardlink /nocompress"

If oEnvironment.Item("LoadStateArgs") = "" then
				sBaseArgs = "/v:5 /c /hardlink /nocompress"
			End if
		Else
			sBaseArgs = oEnvironment.Item("LoadStateArgs")

If sBaseArgs = "" then
				sBaseArgs = "/v:5 /c"
			End if
		End If

Edit it to add the /lac argument to the loadstate command and it will look like this:

' Configure the default options

If sUSMTVersion = "USMT4" and UCase(oEnvironment.Item("UserDataLocation")) = "AUTO" Then
			sBaseArgs = oEnvironment.Item("LoadStateArgs") & "/hardlink /nocompress /lac"

If oEnvironment.Item("LoadStateArgs") = "" then
				sBaseArgs = "/v:5 /c /hardlink /nocompress /lac"
			End if
		Else
			sBaseArgs = oEnvironment.Item("LoadStateArgs")

If sBaseArgs = "" then
				sBaseArgs = "/v:5 /c /lac"
			End if
		End If

This will pass on to loadstate.exe to create any local computer accounts that were backed up with ScanState on your target system if they don't exist already. Save the file, now distribute the package through ConfigMgr just like you would any package, create a new distribution point for it, and then update the DP.

Start of your new Task Sequence with Use Toolkit Package and specify your MDT Toolkit package, capture your Windows and Network settings, then add a Run Command Line task to look like this:

post-3404-124941273869_thumb.jpg

Make SURE that you have both the /capture and /estimate switches as it will not work correctly otherwise. Also make sure that you check Use Package and use your USMT package. DO NOT check the box to run as a different user as in my testing it caused cscript.exe to get caught in a loop and would never complete running the script.

Next add a Capture User State task, I just left it at the default options.

Create the rest of your task as normal until you're ready to restore the user state. Again, we want to use the toolkit package, then run a command line.

post-3404-124941301291_thumb.jpg

Again, make sure you have it set up just like in my screen shot or this will not work if you have local computer accounts on the target system other than the local admin account. Make sure that you have /restore on the end of the command line, you specify your USMT package and do not check the box to run as a different user. It again causes cscript.exe to get caught in a loop.

Add your last task of Restore User State, check the box to restore local computer user profiles and type in a password for them. I know that we edited the ZTIUserState file to restore those accounts, but I tried it with just the edit and not this option checked and it failed on me.

After this my tasks ran flawlessly and I was able to deploy Windows 7 to my target systems on my test network in less than 20 minutes with user state backup and restore.

Can you tell me what you deed on the last two steps? :-)

I configured my TS just like yours but I get an error on the “Run Command line”

Is it possible to create a manual for this topic?

what error did you get ? I will do up a topic on this very shortly as I have a working solution now, albeit a slight hack

I get a command line error at the end of my upgrade, but now I have an other problem wen I try to upgrade XP to Win7.

Some thing with the SCCM client "Exiting with code 0x80004005 Windows setup failed, code 31 "