anyweb

Deploy Windows 7

Question

This guide assumes that you have completed part 1. Build and Capture of Deploy Windows 7.

Step 1. Add the Captured Wim file as an Operating System Image

In ConfigManager, expand the Operating System Deployment node and right click on Operating System Images and choose Add Operating System Image

add operating system images.jpg

use the Browse button to browse to the captured WIM file from part 1 and click next when done

data source captured wim.jpg

give the WIM file a good descriptive name such as Windows 7 Enterprise X64 RTM Release

wim name.jpg

click next and close at the confirmation screen

confirmation.jpg

7 answers to this question

Step 2. Distribute the Captured WIM file

Expand Operating System Images and then Expand our newly added Windows 7 Enterprise RTM Release node

expand.jpg

right click on Distribution Points and click on New Distribution Points

new dp.jpg

as this is NOT a boot image only select the first DP for Copy Package

first dp.jpg

click next and close

Right click on Distribution Points again and this time choose Update Distribution Points, click Yes when prompted

update dp.jpg

Next Step, Create a New Task Sequence

am new to Windows 7 deployments using SCCM. I am trying to set up the first instance of an image that is to be captured from a master workstation. In this step listed above:

press browse and choose your boot image, in this case pick X64 Windows PE boot environment for SCCM 6.1.7100.0 en-US.

I do not have the x86 or x64 Windows PE boot environment for SCCM 6.1.7100.0 en-US. Was this added in and how do I create a boot image specifically for use with SCCM? I found the instructions great and pictures are worth a 1000 words. All that I have avalible is the default x86 or x64 Windows PE boot environment 6.1.7100.0 en-US. When I liik at the properties for the two boot images, my version however is 6.1.7600.16385 with the site name and 0001 (this is the x86 boot image) and one for the site name and 0002 (this is the x 64 boot image.

I have a question...how can I be sure my SCCM is advertising via PXE? I guess I am picking up on a problem at the computer association where i add the computer via mac address...it never shows up-- I have been tasked with the process of setting up a deployable 7 image, but it seems like something might be configured around, up until a couple months ago I was just a desktop guy that walked around fixing things, but the two admins left, and now I am being asked to take their place. I don't mind the work, just seems like they missed something somehere is all. Any suggestions?

Hi, you have some great OSD tutorials and guides... There is however one tutorial that doesn't seem to appear? and that's the one that binds all your OSD deployment tutorials together.

I hope you can help clear this up?

I would like to understand the best order in which to create and deploy windows 7 using all the methods mentioned in your posts...

Example:

Method 1

1. Use the "build and capture task sequence" to capture a vanilla image (is it best to modify the image at this point using WSIM or task sequences to install corporate branding / software etc...?)

=========

Method 2

1. Use the "build and capture task sequence" to capture a vanilla image

2. Create new standard task sequence, add the newly created .wim - (Use WSIM - install any software - corporate branding - etc...) during deployment

Your help and input would be greatly appreciated, i look forward to your response.

Sam.

just noticed this now, sorry for missing it, you should take a look at the following post (and recording if you want), the powerpoint contains notes in the slide notes which will help you in choosing how to build and capture and then later deploy,