anyweb

The CM12 UEFI BitLocker Frontend HTA - Part 2. Installation

Question

In Part 1 of this guide, you learned about the features available in the CM12 UEFI BitLocker FrontEnd HTA, in this part you will learning about installing it in your environment. However before you start make sure to fulfill the requirements listed below first.

Step 1. Fulfill these Requirements first

There are some requirements however, therefore before continuing this guide I will assume that you have:

• Integrated MDT 2013 with Configuration Manager 2012 R2
  • Installed and configured MBAM 2.0 or later
  • Installed and configured Maik Kosters 7.3 web services

If you have not done the above yet, then do so, below are some links that should help you accomplish those tasks.

Integrate MDT 2013 with Configuration Manager 2012 R2 -
Guide
Install and configure MBAM 2.0 or later - Guide 1, Guide 2.
Install and configure Maik Kosters web services -
Guide (don't forget to install ASP.NET 3.5 and associated ISAPI extensions)

ok once the above is done we'll extract some files, create some packages and import the task sequence before satisfying the dependencies within it.

Step 2. Extract the downloaded files

In part 1 you
downloaded the CM12 UEFI BitLocker HTA and now you need to extract it. Right click on the downloaded zip file and choose Extract All.

Extract All.png

Select a destination for the extracted files

select destination for extracted files.png

the extracted files will extract to a folder called The CM12 UEFI BitLocker FrontEnd HTA, click on that folder to view the contents, it should look like the below

contents of the extracted folder.png

Copy everything in that folder to somewhere useful such as \\server\sources\os\

copied to somewhere useful.png

Note: Do NOT extract the zip file contained within the extracted files above.

Step 3. Create the CM12 UEFI BitLocker HTA Scripts package

Open the Configuration Manager 2012 R2 console. Select the Software Library and then select Application Management then select Packages, choose Create Package as shown below

Create Package.png

give the new package a name such as CM12 UEFI BitLocker HTA Scripts and point it to the UNC location of the CM12 UEFI BitLocker HTA Scripts folder as shown below

CM12 UEFI BitLocker HTA Scripts package.png

Choose Do not create a program

Do no create a program.png

continue through that wizard until completion

scripts package created.png

Step 4. Create the UEFI HTA package

Select the Software Library and then select Application Management then select Packages, choose Create Package as shown below

Create Package.png

Give the package a name such as UEFI BitLocker HTA and point it to the folder containing the UEFI HTA files as shown below

UEFI BitLocker HTA package.png

Choose Do not create a program

continue through that wizard until completion

UEFI BitLocker HTA package created.png

Step 5. Distribute the new packages

Select the two newly created packages by holding down CTRL when clicking on the packages, right click and choose Distribute Content as shown below

Distribute  Content.png

Click next, then select the content destination by clicking on the Add drop down, then select Distribution Points, once done, select one or more distribution points that you want the content on

continue through that wizard until completion.

Step 6. Import the Task Sequence

In the Configuration Manager console, select Operating Systems, expand Task Sequences, right click and choose Import Task Sequence as shown below

Import Task Sequence.png

point to the UNC network path where you copied the contents of the extracted ZIP file from step 2 above as shown below

importing the task sequence zip file.png

in the task sequence file content screen, the drop down menu allows you to change from Import Failure to Ignore Dependency, select that option and click next, this is to allow you to import the task sequence without having the same boot wim image as I used when exporting it, you can click on View Failure to review exactly what dependencies are missing on your site for the task sequence.

ignore dependency.png

the import should complete successfully.

import done.png

Step 7. Download the language packs

Using your Volume Licence or MSDN subscription access, download the Language packs for Windows 8.1 x64 with Update. Search for the following term

Windows 8.1 Language Pack with Update

The DVD ISO file should be similar to those shown below on MSDN. Select the x64 iso if your UEFI hardware is 64 bit (most is) otherwise select x86. The language pack download contains the following languages

Languages: English, Japanese, Korean, Arabic, Bulgarian, Czech, Danish, German, Greek, Spanish, Estonian, Finnish, French, Hebrew, Croatian, Hungarian, Italian, Lithuanian, Latvian, Dutch, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese-Brazil, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Slovenian, Serbian, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Chinese - Hong Kong SAR, Chinese - Simplified, Portuguese-Portugal

language packs on msdn.png

Once downloaded, mount the iso file by right clicking it and choose Mount, then copy the language packs you intend to support to somewhere useful as shown below

mark the language packs by selecting the ones you need,

mark language packs.png

and copy them to a temporary folder called Language Packs as shown below

Language Packs temp folder.png

Create one folder matching the language of each language pack you have selected, so for example if you selected the da-dk language pack, then create a new folder called Danish. Below I've created 5 folders for my respective language packs.

new folders matching langauge pack created.png

next, copy the respective language pack (eg: da-dk) into it's language folder (eg: danish) so that the end result looks like so

language packs copied to each folder.png

copy those files and folders from your temp folder to your Configuration Manager server as shown below

copied to CM12 server.png

Step 8. Create Language packs packages

Select the Software Library and then select Application Management then select Packages, choose Create Package as shown below

Create Package.png

Give the package a suitable name like Windows 8.1 x64 German Language Pack and point to the top folder for that language pack, eg: German as shown in the screenshot below

creating language pack package.png 

Choose Do not create a program and continue through the wizard until completion.

Note: Repeat the above process for each language pack you want made available in the task sequence.

Step 9. Distribute Language packages

Right click on your newly created language packs and choose Distribute Content,

distribute all lps.png

continue through the wizard as shown already in step 5 above.

Step 10. Create an Unattend.XML package

In the CM12 UEFI BitLocker HTA scripts\Unattend folder, you'll find some xml files, create a package using that folder as shown below

create unattend xml package.png

Choose Do not create a program and continue through the wizard until completion, when done, right click the package and distribute content to your distribution points as shown in Step 5.

Step 11. Create MBAM client packages

Locate the MBAM client installation files that are provided with the MBAM software, and create two MBAM packages, one for MBAM x64 and the other for MBAM x86 clients as shown below (for the x64 MBAM package)

Create MBAM client package.png

Create a Standard Program for each package with the following parameters

MbamClientSetup.exe /q /l c:\windows\temp\MbamClientSetup.log

as shown below

mbamsetup program.png

continue through the wizard and distribute the packages to your Distribution Points as shown in Step 5.

Step 12. Edit the task sequence to fix missing references

Right click on the newly imported task sequence and choose Edit as shown below

edit.png

at this point you'll get an extremely long list of missing reference objects, don't panic, it's easier to fix than it looks.

objects referenced in this task sequence cannot be found.png

Scroll up to the top of the opened task sequence, any package that needs to be re-referenced will be marked with a red x such as the Use Toolkit Package step shown here.

Use Toolkit package step needs to be fixed.png

Click on Browse beside the missing package, and Select the correct MDT 2013 Toolkit package which you created when you integrated MDT with Configuration Manager by following this guide.

MDT ToolKit 2013.png 

The completed step now looks like this

Use ToolKit Package step fixed.png

The Copy custom scripts step is basically using our CM12 UEFI BitLocker HTA scripts package as shown below, in addition the Change Windows RE Tools step uses the same scripts package.

copy custom scripts.png 

The copy HTA to custom step looks like so (use the UEFI BitLocker HTA package created earlier)

copy HTA to custom.png

Repeat the above process for each and every step that needs it's package fixed. It will take some minutes but once done you can finally save the changes in the task sequence. I'll go through most of the 'different package steps below for your information so that there is no confusion about what goes where.

Note: the Unattend.xml file referenced in the Apply Operating System image step is created in step 10 above.

If you don't have a Surface Pro 3 in your organization you can disable that step as shown below or create the package using the powershell script as shown in this guide.

Disable SP3 apply driver package step.png

The USMT package references should point to your ADK created USMT package as shown below

USMT package references.png

Note Each folder in the USMT package (amd64 and x86) should be populated with custom XML files that you create, the batch files used to run them can be modified to suit your needs, or make no modifications at all and use the samples in the download here.

The Install Microsoft MBAM Client X64 En step will look like so

Step 13. Add PowerShell, MDAC and HTA support to your boot wim image

We'll need MDAC support to contact the MBAM SQL server, we'll need PowerShell support to run the ChangeRETools powershell script, and we'll need HTA support to display the CM12 UEFI HTA. To add this support to our boot wim image we need to do as follows:

Select the x64 boot wim and right click, choose Properties and Optional Components.

x64 boot wim Optional Components.png

Add the following by clicking on the yellow startburst icon, note that Microsoft .NET (WinPE-NetFx) will be added automatically when you select Windows PowerShell,

• Databse (WinPE-MDAC)
  • HTML (WinPE-HTA)
  • Windows Powershell (WinPE-PowerShell)

as shown below

x64 boot wim Optional Components added.png

Click Apply when done and answer Yes to the prompt below

Yes to update the distribution points.png

complete the wizard.

Step 14. Attach the edited boot wim to your task sequence

Right click on the task sequence and choose Properties, select Advanced, next select Use a boot image and point it to the newly updated X64 boot image as shown below.

add x64 boot wim.png

Step 15. Edit the CustomSettings.ini file

Locate the CustomSettings.ini file (included in the CM12 UEFI BitLocker FrontEnd HTA scripts folder

customsettings ini file.png 

and edit it to point to your web service urls as shown below

webservice url change.png

repeat the above for each webservice URL encountered pointing to the correct server in your environment

changes made to customsettings.png

Save the file, and copy the new file to the ROOT of your MDT 2013 package like so

copied the customsettings changed file to MDT 2013 Toolkit root.png

Finally, locate the MDT 2013 Toolkit package in the console, right click and choose Update Distribution Points as shown below

Update Distribution Points.png

Step 16. Set variables and assign connect to network folder users

Edit the task sequence and locate the Connect to Network folder steps *there are a few*, change the network account to one that has permission to the share in question

connect to network folder step.png

Next change the variable steps to point to server/shares of your making as shown below

• Set BackupServer
  • Set BackupShare
  • Set USMTStoreShare

like so....

set backupserver.png

Apply your changes and close the task sequence.

Step 17. Deploy the task sequence

Right click on the CM12 UEFI BitLocker HTA task sequence and choose Deploy as shown below

Deploy.png

and select an appropriate collection for example All Unknown Computers

All Unknown Computers.png

make it Available (optional) and available only to media and PXE as shown below

purpose of available.png

Tip: you might want to create a UEFI only collection and add known computers to it, then deploy this task sequence again to that collection also.

that's it, all that's left to do is to PXE boot a computer and you should see the CM12 UEFI BitLocker FrontEnd HTA in action.

The CM12 UEFI BitLocker HTA.png

In the part 3, I'll go through troubleshooting common problems with this task sequence, until then, adios !

Recommended reading

The CM12 UEFI BitLocker Frontend HTA - Part 1. The features. - http://www.windows-n...1-the-features/

How can I install a Web Service ? - http://www.windows-n...-a-web-service/

How to Deploy the MBAM Client to Desktop or Laptop Computers - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn145031.aspx

Downloads

You can download a Microsoft Word copy of this guide here. The CM12 UEFI BitLocker HTA part 2.zip

Summary

In this part I've shown you how to set up your environment to work with the CM12 UEFI BitLocker HTA, In part 3, I'll go through troubleshooting common problems with this task sequence, until then, adios !

USMT XML files.zip

specify the content destination.png

Install MBAM client step.png

xcopy amd64 USMT.png

USMT amd64 and x86 folders.png

OSD user in MBAM.png

server role in MBAM.png

User Mapping.png

status.png

• Like 1

Thanks. A few more questions as I try to rework this for my environment.

• I currently have a Windows 7 WIM that has a bunch of languages installed (I.E. English, German, French, Spanish, etc). Since they are already installed, how do I enable selection of those instead of installing Offline Language Packs?
  • How do I add OU selection to this?
  • With the Bitlocker selection, are the encryption options using Diffuser?

you could try disabling the install language pack sections and see what happens,

to add an ou selection you'll have to code something yourself, it's not that hard and others have asked about that already here

diffuser is depreceated in Windows 8 and onwards, see my previous HTA releases for the steps to add it back,

good luck

I'll post one in a bit. I'm running through the setup again. I heavily customized the front end so I very well may have commented out the name part. Where in the code does it set the name? I'll check to make sure it is still there.

What is the difference between the steps "Enable BitLocker via script - Multi Language W7" and "Enable BitLocker W8" They both seem to work on W7... Also, should the MBAM client be installed before enabling bitlocker so that it doesn't store the keys in AD?