Jump to content


Recommended Posts

Greetings All,

 

I am having a bit of trouble creating a TS that creates two partitions. If I only have one it works perfectly as soon as I try and add the second the TS fails. I can see what is causing the failure but i don't know why. Let me know if any other info is needed.

 

Desired Outcome:

Windows 7 with two partitons C: and D: (system and data respectively) <-- This part does actually occur. But I end up with a partially imaged machine.

 

Partition TS Step:

post-10749-0-22200700-1422626690_thumb.png

 

The Cause:

The _SMSTaskSequence folder gets placed on D: then after the step below occurs it starts looking for the TS files to be on E: which doesn't exist. (Full log attached)

post-10749-0-42320000-1422626813_thumb.png

 

Cheers,

Mike

smsts.log

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


so 50%+100%=150% of your disk, could be your problem ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm. I guess i misunderstood how that works.

 

My understanding.

 

I have a 100GB Hard Drive

 

Partition 1 - 50% of remaining space (100GB) = 50GB

Partition 2 - 100% of the remaining space left on the drive (50GB) = 50GB

Totaling 100GB of space used.

 

No?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to agree with Niall. Also, I always prefer to give my operating system drive a fixed size and leave the rest for any data partition.

 

So the thought is that sccm is trying to create e: on the extra 50% of the 150%? The partitions create properly 50% and 50%.

 

So you do a fixed size and then how do you tell it to use the remaining space?

 

To me it seems like it starts out using D: as the os drive and e: as the data drive and then reassigns the letters or something. Effectively removing E:

 

Also found this link that seems to suggest 50% and 100% - https://itdiplomat.wordpress.com/2010/12/05/how-to-create-2-formated-partition-in-sccm-2007-osd-task-sequence/

 

post-10749-0-62991700-1422648003_thumb.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok so that's your partitions after the step ? well if so it's obviously working, or is it ?

 

can you post the SMSTS.log files in there entirety so we can review the step in question and the failure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Niall. Full log is attached to my OP.

 

The partitioning does appear to work. Unfortunately after applying the OS It fails when it hits the step to install the client, for some reason it starts looking for my source files to be on E: instead of D:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what does your apply operating system image step look like

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No ideas? Anyone? Could it be that I only have one "image" in my wim file? If you notice in my Apply OS step my image package is 1-1. That is my only option. I know typically there are two options. 1-1 and 2-2. One being (I believe) some sort of system image and the other the actual OS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I did this same partitioning on Windows 8.1 TS i have where the wim shows as two image files and it worked perfectly. Although I did also change the location to install the os to "next available partition" instead of using a variable. So going to change OS location first since that will be much easier than recapturing my wim. I will post back results in case anyone cares.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...