Weiry

Windows Authentication at the PXE stage of a remote install

Question

Hi

I am chasing something that I read on a forum but didn’t save it as I know I should have :o)

I was looking into the ability to use windows authentication at the PXE stage of a remote install. We currently have a password set on the PXE boot, but have to tell others the password, this is an issue as security is tight here.

We have SCCM 2012 in place and we are moving from XP to Windows 7 ENT, we have a lot of PCs to cover and that are in a wide area, so at the moment they have to be swapped out with PCs that have already been imaged, this would allow us to upgrade at the customer location.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way where we could build in a form of windows authentication instead of relying only on a password. This would then allow members of the desktop install team to be able to do the installs, based on their group membership. It would also allow us to allow PXE boot across the whole of our network, rather than to pick up end points that required imaging, to be brought back to base to be installed then taken back.

I was reading that it maybe it was possible to do this with a script or something like that, but lost the thread at some stage.

Thanks for your help

2 answers to this question

youd' need to install the unsupported adsi plugin for AD as described here by Johan

http://www.deploymentresearch.com/Research/tabid/62/EntryId/128/ADSI-plugin-for-WinPE-5-0.aspx

and then customize some frontend to add credential input and validate them against AD

• Like 1