whoishomer1

SCEP on Windows 10 RTM

So I upgraded a computer to Windows 10 here. SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 server deployed configuration manager client without issue, but SCEP fails with:

Cannot complete the System Center Endpoint Protection installation. An error has prevented the System Center Endpoint Protection setup wizard from completing successfully. Please restart your computer and try again. Error code:0x80070643. Fatal error during installation.

Is there a trick to get it to install on Windows 10 Pro (64)

what does the ccmsetup.log and endpointprotection log reveal about it ? is there any other antivirus software installed that could be causing an issue with the installation of the SCEP agent ?

what does the ccmsetup.log and endpointprotection log reveal about it ? is there any other antivirus software installed that could be causing an issue with the installation of the SCEP agent ?

Sorry I've been away so I haven't gotten a chance to check the log files.

Windows defender is installed on the computer. When I tried to manually install SCEP it would say it installed successfully then Windows defender would launch...

Same here.

After upgrading from Windows 8.1 Enterprise to Windows 10 Enterprise, having SCEP 2012 R2 SP1 previously installed, I ended up with Defender installed.

Tried to reinstall SCEP but the installer informs that SCEP is already installed. On the taskbask there is only the Defender icon.

In settings, under Defender, I cannot disable Defender or see/select another antimalware software.

Running the Defender application, under Help -> About, I see the SCEP policy being applied!?!?!

Under services I can only see the two defender services.

Seems like a case of crossed lines!

reading here (comments):

https://ndswanson.wordpress.com/2015/01/09/installing-system-center-endpoint-protection-on-windows-10/

and the link he points out in his comment

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Hh508770.aspx

If you manage endpoint protection for Windows 10 Technical Preview computers, then you must configure System Center 2012 Configuration Manager to update and distribute malware definitions for Windows Defender. Because Windows Defender is included in Windows 10, an endpoint protection agent does not need to be deployed to client computers.

It seems that maybe Defender is replacing SCEP (mine is getting SCEP policies as well...)

~Tom

If you manage endpoint protection for Windows 10 Technical Preview computers, then you must configure System Center 2012 Configuration Manager to update and distribute malware definitions for Windows Defender. Because Windows Defender is included in Windows 10, an endpoint protection agent does not need to be deployed to client computers.

Thanks, good to know!

So are there instructions anywhere on what how to configure SCCM 2012 to distribute definitions for Windows Defender?

Although building the Endpoint client into Windows Defender makes sense from Microsoft, the UI is extremely limiting and nowhere near as many configuration options as the old SCEP client we saw in previous versions. Details in the link below. Let's hope Microsoft fixes this soon! http://www.proweb-solutions.net/blog/sccm-2012-r2-sp1-windows-defender-explained/