neumc

Start menu not working in Win10

Question

Hi,

Has anyone had problems with the start menu not working in Windows 10 after they have deployed using SCCM?
I did a B&C on hyper-v and have deployed this image to a physical and it boots up fine. (joined to domain)
If I log in as an account with admin privileges, the start menu and search don't work.
If i first log in as a non-admin account, start menu works. I can then log in as an admin and it seems to work.

I have found various fixes online, including powershell scripts and nothing worked for me until I found a solution here

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/12321-taskbar-start-button-not-working.html

And ran the 10service_default.bat that resets all services.

My question is, has anyone experienced this when deploying Windows 10?

I can run this batch file but would prefer to track down the reason it is happening.
Do you think it is in my capture? I can retry that part.

Thanks

9 answers to this question

I had this problem with the preview builds and was surprised to see it carried over to the full release.

None of the suggested fixes worked, but I'll try the services one you linked to.

I have noticed that since installing 2012 R2 SP1 - CU1 in my LAB I haven't had the problem. I also installed KB3084568 + KB3089193

I'm about to install these in production so I'll see what happens.

Have now updated production and still have the problem. If I log in as a basic user I get the start menu. Log in as admin and it's not there. Log I as the basic user again and it's gone. I tried the batch file linked to above but that didn't fix it. I'll cut down the task sequence to just the OS. After that it's time to log a Premier support call....

Have now updated production and still have the problem. If I log in as a basic user I get the start menu. Log in as admin and it's not there. Log I as the basic user again and it's gone. I tried the batch file linked to above but that didn't fix it. I'll cut down the task sequence to just the OS. After that it's time to log a Premier support call....

I should get some time to play with this again soon. Please keep me updated if you get it going.

I think it's related to Store access for Cortana in particular. If I give the machine unrestricted access to the Store the Start Menu is there for any user.

We had a similar problem with Windows 8 but it didn't take out the start menu, maybe as there was none! As ever, it appears that MS just test with full access to everything. I'll take it further with MS as I have a call logged.

Store access was the problem for me. We needed to allow access (with AppLocker) to Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost" and "Microsoft.Windows.Cortana" for the start menu to work.

It was working in my lab as it has unrestricted internet access and no proxy server. In Production this was the opposite.

If it's the same problem you'll see events that those applications cannot activate.