Hello,

I am trying to PXE boot surface pro 4 and for some reason it does not boot. I get the attached message. It tries to PXE over IP v4, then reaches my correct DP that has PXE and WDS, it finds the correct NBP file SMSBoot\x64\wdsnbp.com (this is specified in DHCP option), it appears to be downloading and NBP file is successfully downloaded. Then without prompting to press Enter key for PXE boot, it moves to IPV6.

I have tried below but no luck

• Upgrade firmware to latest
  • disable secure boot
  • Removed DHCP option - but this time it doesn't even finds my PXE server
  • Verified and made sure MAC address of network adapter is not registered with SCCM DB
  • Tried docking station and no luck

I can PXE boot a desktop on same network with no issues.

Any suggestions would be helpful

Thanks.

post-32667-0-08670900-1451592758.jpg

have you enabled PXE on the x64 boot image and made sure to attach that boot image to the deployed task sequence ? have you also distributed both architecture boot wims to the dp's ?

how are you connecting the SP4 to the network, via the USB network cable or via the DOCK ?

Thanks for your reply.

"have you enabled PXE on the x64 boot image" - .yes this is deployed. Bot x86 and x64 boot images are deployed to WDS server and i can see them in remoteinstall folder under SMSBootImages. Both boot image packages are deployed to DP's

I am using a USB docking station. I tried with USB adapter as well with not change is result.

I'm having the same problem's with our Surface Pro 4's (I'll be referring to them as SP4 from now on). I've confirmed that I can UEFI PXE a dell 9020 pc so I know my DHCP server is working for UEFI. For reasons unknown when I try and PXE my SP4's I'm getting the following:

>>Start PXE over IPv4.

Station IP address is x.x.x.x

Server IP address is x.x.x.x(Our SCCM server which is also running WDS)

NBP filename is SMSBoot\x64\wdsnbp.com

NBP filesize is 30832 Bytes

Downloading NBP file...

Succeed to download NBP file.

Then my SP4 will reboot back to the "BIOS" because I've disabled IPv6. I've updated the firmware on the SP4 to the latest available from Microsoft. I'm not sure why the SP4 is getting pointed to the wdsnbp.com file since I've got DHCP pointing client's to wdsmgfw.efi...

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

have you added the network driver for the sp4 to the x64 boot image ?

have you added the network driver for the sp4 to the x64 boot image ?

Yes I have.

I get the same message when trying to deploy on one of my sp4. the other sp4 I got actually goes pass this point but does nothing after splash screen and goes back to start all of the pxe boot process again with no success.

well for UEFI network boot to work you need to have dhcp scope options 66/67 removed if they are set and configure iphelpers to point to the ip address of the distribution point hosting the WDS server. Can you video the PXE boot attempt ? what does the smspxe.log (on the dp) reveal ? do any UEFI only devices PXE boot and if they do are they booting from the x64 boot wim or an x86 one....

Hi,

I am unable to do PXE boot in surface pro 4. But i could able to boot USB based boot.

Even though i kept network boot as first boot it is not booting at all.

How to get the Prompt "Start PXE over IPv4" I am not able to do the PXE boot itself.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,

Pearl

what do you see when you PXE boot ? can you video it ?

Hi

Thanks for the quick response.

I have followed the below procedure,

1. Press and hold the Volume Down button.
  2. Press and release the Power button.
  3. After the system begins to boot from the USB stick successfully
  4. In the same USB port, if i connect surface pro Ethernet adapter it is not booting in to PXE. Not even showing Starting PXE over IP4.(I am using surface pro 2 USB-etherner adapter)

check the UEFI bios settings so that the boot order is boot to nic before USB, pres Volume UP and then Power to enter the bios.

Hi,

Thanks,

I have set already 1. PXE network 2. USb storage 3. internal storage.

Since have only one usb port on the device i have to remove usb and connect usb-Ethernet adpater is the only option i have.

Even though i am not getting and significant message/screen displays related to PXE boot...

Is there any firmware update required?

I have attached the boot order screenshot

Regards,

Pearl

post-33190-0-02876800-1458212901.jpg

are you sure you are shutting down the computer and not just powering off. ? can you video the PXE boot process that you see or does it completely ignore PXE boot and just boot straight into the os ?

boot the sp4 into windows, run a full windows update on it, then shutdown windows. Try pxe booting again, does it work ?

I am trying to PXE boot surface pro 4 and for some reason it does not boot. It tries to PXE over IP v4, then reaches my correct DP that has PXE and WDS, it finds the correct NBP file SMSBoot\x64\wdsnbp.com, then without prompting to press Enter key for PXE boot, it moves to IPV6, then it resets and goes to boot to hard drive. I was able to get it to boot through usb with no issues but were looking to have this working with sccm 2012 r2 sp1 cu3 so we can deploy to more units in the future.

I have tried:

• Upgrade firmware to latest
  • DHCP option are not set, ALL systems are on the same vlan
  • Booting from Ethernet Adapter
  • Added surface pro adapter successfully to the X64 boot image

I can PXE boot all other system except for this model only with no issues.

Has anyone got it to work?

SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 CU3

Boot Image 10.0.26624.0

SCCM

NOTE: Found that device was attached to an already imaged SP4 listed in SCCM. I found this on SMSPXE.log. found this page useful to determine which device it was attached to. Also had some good useful reporting logs to use. I did the excluded adapter device in regedit to make sure I am able to reuse the device.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/configurationmgr/2015/08/27/reusing-the-same-nic-for-multiple-pxe-initiated-deployments-in-system-center-configuration-manger-osd/

what error do you get ?

ok if it doesn't start over the network, what does happen, more details help us figure out what is wrong...