jackson321

Migrate from 2008r2 to 2012r

Hello,

I'm in the planning process to upgrade a SCCM 2012 sp1 on OS 2008r2 (single site).

We would like to migrate the OS from 2008r2 to 2012r2 and move SQL off box to SQL 2014. From what I've been reading I need to do a Backup and Recovery in Configuration Manager as referenced in the following links listed below.

WSUS was installed on the on the same server using sql express, non of us has access to the DB and the person that originally installed it has left the company. So I'm stuck with a dilemma.

Uninstall WSUS from the SCCM before performing a backup. On reinstall of SCCM go ahead an install WSUS as a new server.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/scstr/archive/2014/06/13/configmgr-2012-site-recovery-scenario-stand-alone-site-server-os-or-hardware-migration-change.aspx

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712697.aspx

The high levels steps

Backup Config Manager and package source location

Backup SCCM Database

Build new SQL server, reattached DB, give permissions

Build new SCCM server (same hostname, IP)

Copy package location to new sccm server

Perform a recovery of Site Server

having the database remote only opens you up to more possibilities of failure, (eg: replication), keeping it local minimizes those problems.