awalpole

SCCM Migration to a new server

can I upgrade to v1511 even if im running WinServer 2k8R2?

yes i've done it in my lab, works fine, my lab was running CM12r2sp1cu1 prior to this as documented in this post.

Your SUP however won't work for Windows 10 servicing, however if the 1602 technical preview is anything to go by, you'll be able to do an inplace upgrade of Server 2008R2 to Server 2012R2 eventually.

Until then, either move the sup role to a supported site server or migrate everything to Server 2012R2

Question: during the migration how are the clients handle? Can do we migrate the agents to a new environment? What if the agent it's a old version?

the old clients can still be managed by the new Primary during the migration, once you've upgraded the back end infrastrucuter (primary, secondaries, dp's) upgrade your clients.

Following this one! I am trying to move from CM 2012 SP1 on Win2008 to Server 2012 with either CM2012 R2 or CM1511. Definitely a noob to the process! Tips, tricks, processes to follow would be greatly appreciated.

start here:

https://www.windows-noob.com/forums/topic/13368-how-can-i-install-system-center-configuration-manager-current-branch/

p.s. check the prerequisites regarding CM1511... like windows and sql versions :)

the old clients can still be managed by the new Primary during the migration, once you've upgraded the back end infrastrucuter (primary, secondaries, dp's) upgrade your clients.

When you say upgrade your clients, you mean deploy the CCM upgrade package to a device collection... ? or it's possible to use the hierarchy client update or not the same thing?

Yes, the migration of existing clients registered to Site AA1 move to new site BB2, is the interesting bit not covered in the guides I was reading (or did I miss it?)

Will client "upgrade" with no issues?

And re-register to new site?

edit:

Fully explained in Clients section here

(but sadly it is in my testing not as easy! Clients will NOT re-assign to new site code, upgrade does not seem to make any difference either, I have not yet tried client push)

Once all objects are migrated, you need to reassign your client in the new SCCM 1511 site.

Many options can be used :

Reassign client site with a script to migrate to the new hierarchy
        This is mandatory because of the new site code
        This script from Steve Thompson [MVP] does the trick!
    Use auto-upgrade when client are assigned to the new hierarchy
    Use client push to reassign clients and upgrade at the same time
        This will change the assigned site code automatically

I can not get boot images (some, some did migrate OK) migrated (and because of this TS also do NOT get migrated)

Error is:

Configuration Manager Provider error details: Description = Failed to insert OSD binaries into the WIM file

ADK 1511 with Fix, MDT on both source & destination

Seb

edit:

can do that by hand, boot images can be re-created, not a big deal