jeaostro

How to install Lenovo Software and Drivers with Update Retriever and SCCM during OS deployment

Question

Here is my solution for Lenovo Computers:

1.Install and configure Lenovo Update Retriever on a server. Lenovo has good guides for this where you download the software.

2.Download Thininstaller

3.Create a software package that contains the thininstaller files(my software packages is the POC0002D below, this package contains all the thininstaller files) You can download Thininstaller from the same place that you download Update Retriever.

Then do the following in the OS deployment task:

1. Under "Install Software" in the OS Deployment task, create a command line task that has the following command line:

cmd.exe /c xcopy.exe \\SCCMSERVER1\SMSPKGE$\POC0002D\*.* c:\lenovo\thininstaller\ /E /D -> With timeout 5 minutes or so.

2.Create a new command line task that has the following command line:

cmd.exe /c thininstaller.exe /CM -search A -action INSTALL -noicon -includerebootpackages 1,2,3,4 -repository \\TVSU-Server\tvsu -> With timout 120 minutes if you like to.

The computers is deployed with all the Lenovo drivers and software you specified in the update retriever software.

If you get a new Lenovo Model, just add the model to Lenovo Update Retriever and download the drivers/software with this tool.

No need to add lenovo drivers or Lenovo software to sccm.

best regards.

jeaostro

Ok so I checked and the run command was not correct. I changed that in the TS and it's running for now. I hope it'll work.

What timeout value did you take to run thininstaller?

EDIT: I still got the access denied message but I set 'Everyone' on the share.

Do you know how to get around a few of the lenovo packages asking to click agree? I've set the license portion to "Do not display" but no matter what it will display. I am currently doing all the updates via a bat file after the SCCM deploys the OS because it will fail in a task sequence for me because of the popup.

Do you know how to get around a few of the lenovo packages asking to click agree? I've set the license portion to "Do not display" but no matter what it will display. I am currently doing all the updates via a bat file after the SCCM deploys the OS because it will fail in a task sequence for me because of the popup.

I think those are the Microsoft updates, and not sure how they can be silent because you have to read and approve the license.

Do a quick google search and maybe someone has solved this. I dont push these out with Update Retriever.

Ok so I checked and the run command was not correct. I changed that in the TS and it's running for now. I hope it'll work.

What timeout value did you take to run thininstaller?

EDIT: I still got the access denied message but I set 'Everyone' on the share.

Please try to copy the thininstaller application to a computer running windows.

open cmd and go to the folder where you have thininstaller, and run the following:

thininstaller.exe /CM -search A -action INSTALL -includerebootpackages 1,2,3,4 -repository \\youserver\yoursharedtvsu folder

also make sure the packages are status "active" and not "test" on the Update Retriever, you can change this from the update view in update retriever.

Do you get any errors then? Firewall rules?

Please try to copy the thininstaller application to a computer running windows.

open cmd and go to the folder where you have thininstaller, and run the following:

thininstaller.exe /CM -search A -action INSTALL -includerebootpackages 1,2,3,4 -repository \\youserver\yoursharedtvsu folder

also make sure the packages are status "active" and not "test" on the Update Retriever, you can change this from the update view in update retriever.

Do you get any errors then? Firewall rules?

It appears to work but no update is applied. The package are, of course, set on Active. I also removed the MS updates. But AMT for example won't install. It says that there is no update to be applied while there is.

It appears to work but no update is applied. The package are, of course, set on Active. I also removed the MS updates. But AMT for example won't install. It says that there is no update to be applied while there is.

Just to be sure, you have entered the correct type number of the computer(for example 2055), selected the correct OS language and version?

Could you try this on a computer that has almost none drivers or Lenovo Applications?

From the client, when you type \\youserver\yoursharedtvsu you see all the packages?

Ok so now I did it manually and it found around 20 things to install. I removed all MS updates and bios update and Lenovo toolbox.

I changed in the thininstall.exe.configuration the path to something like:

<RepositoryPath>\\10.55.65.5\tvsu</RepositoryPath>

<LogPath>c:\windows\temp\</LogPath>

I changed this too in the actual package and did an update of the package.

Lauching it manually from the client worked so there must be something wrong in my command:

cmd.exe /c thininstaller.exe /CM -search A -action INSTALL -noicon -includerebootpackages 1,3,4 -repository \\10.55.65.5\tvsu

Ok so now I did it manually and it found around 20 things to install. I removed all MS updates and bios update and Lenovo toolbox.

I changed in the thininstall.exe.configuration the path to something like:

<RepositoryPath>\\10.55.65.5\tvsu</RepositoryPath>

<LogPath>c:\windows\temp\</LogPath>

I changed this too in the actual package and did an update of the package.

Lauching it manually from the client worked so there must be something wrong in my command:

cmd.exe /c thininstaller.exe /CM -search A -action INSTALL -noicon -includerebootpackages 1,3,4 -repository \\10.55.65.5\tvsu

So what you are saying is that it works when you us IP but not when you use the server name? DNS issue?

So what you are saying is that it works when you us IP but not when you use the server name? DNS issue?

I never used netbios name in this case. Always ip address. No what I was saying is that it works manually but not with SCCM. It runs with SCCM but it doesn't install anything.

I'll retry in a minute.

I never used netbios name in this case. Always ip address. No what I was saying is that it works manually but not with SCCM. It runs with SCCM but it doesn't install anything.

I'll retry in a minute.

Are you using my methode of copying the "Thininstaller package"(sourcefiles) down to the client? and running the thininstaller locally from the client? with the task?