This is more of an opinion question than a technical one. I'm wondering what folks do for patching 3rd party products like Adobe Flash & Acrobat, Firefox, and Chrome. I know SCUP exists, but my experience with it in the past is that it's more trouble than it's worth. My impression is that it's lingering but not much supported any more. Working where I do, cheap or free is always better, so I was considering using a scripted solution possibly delivered a task or compliance setting. Does anyone have anything nice (or not nice) nice to say about the extensions for 3rd party updates from Shavlik, SolarWinds, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

Avoid Shavlik - it's a lot of money for not alot of product. Solarwinds patch manager is on par. For half the amount of money they'd charge you in license costs you'd be able to employ someone full time to manage just 3rd party patching.