dyg

Slow OSD with only one Distribution Point (Virtual Machine)

Hi,

In my environment I have 3 locations for Operation System Deployments. Each one has its own DP and boundaries group.

We have a very slow OSD process in one of them (3-4 for one deployment, other DPs take less than an hour)

The only difference betwen the slow DP and the others DPs is that it's a VM with WS 2012. The other two DPs are WS 2008 and they are physical servers.

We tried to change the NIC on VM Server with no luck.

We also checked possible networking issues with the infraestructure team and we didn't notice any problem.

Do you guys think that it could be a VM problem?

Any help would be appreaciated

Thanks and regards

The networking team monitored the OSD process and saw no packet loss. We also tried to move a file directly from the server to a client and the transfer was with a normal time.

As you suggested, we have isolated the VM disk to discard IO problems

It seems to be the SCCM OSD process that creates a bottleneck or something else.

So if it work fine two other DPs, however one is not working correctly, how exactly is the OSD process creating a bottleneck? Have you compared Perfmon between a working DP and non-working DP?

So you have put the DP on dedicated Disks?

Just because there is no packet lost, doesn't mean the network is not still the problem.

I think the same, with other DP the OSD process works well but I have reviewed the server settings and can not find the reason. I do not know if I have to look at any other configuration on this server.

I have compared the perfomance but I have not found high CPU, RAM, network, IO consumptions that can cause the problem.

Correct, the DP is on a dedicated disk.

I do not understand because copying a file manually works fine but via OSD no. I have checked that during the Task sequence point to the correct DP and it is not pointing to another site.

Other servers in the same VM pool do not have similar problems

It's disconcerting.

So you have more digging to do but IMO the problem is with the VM or network. Again, if you have two DPs that are working great then, the problem is the extra DP.

Have you confirm that your boundaries are correct? Have you confirm that BITS is not a problem?

Yes, the boundaries are correct

What do you mean that it could be a BITS problem? What would be the correct configuration? I have reviewed the inetpub logs and I didn't see errors. I also did the following test to verify that it was ok.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/carlossantiago/2009/04/28/how-to-check-if-a-bits-enabled-distribution-point-is-up-and-running/

The only difference with the other DPs is that this is VM and WS2012. The rest are physical and WS2008