anyweb

How can I install System Center Configuration Manager version 1606 (Current Branch) on Windows Server 2016 with SQL 2016

On 4/4/2017 at 9:37 AM, Mino said:

The short version for installing Reporting services:

Add-CMReportingServicePoint -SiteCode <sitecode> -SiteSystemServerName <FQDNserver> -UserName <credential> -ReportServerInstance MSSQLSERVER

And speaking of 1702, there is a new exiting tool called Content Library Cleanup tool - finally! Check it out.

thanks, and havn't you seen this ? https://www.niallbrady.com/2017/01/24/what-is-the-contentlibrarycleanup-tool-and-how-can-i-use-it/

Maybe I missed something, and I tried going back to make sure I didn't... but what is the password for accessing the SQL server?

$yourusername="windowsnoob\niall"

I kept this as TRUE:

$ADDCURRENTUSERASSQLADMIN="True"

But it gives me a "the certificate chain was issued by an authority that is not trusted." I added "TrustServerCertificate=True" to the Additional Connection Parameters but then it gives me a bad login error.

Thanks for any information. 

EDIT:

Running SQL Management Studio as administrator fixed the issue.

Edited by lepard

Anyweb thanks so much for you help!

I'm currently in the process of installing SCCM and I'm running through your guide and i had a few questions:

1.) I'm running Windows Server 2016, would your scripts work using this version?

2.) The scripts link seams to be down.  I've been doing much of the setup manually but i figured i would see which scripts i could edit and use with my environment

3.) I'm up to the point where I need to install the roles onto the CM01 machine and then install SQL.  If i'm running SQL on the same server as SCCM but on a different drive I should be able to edit the script to install it there, no?  Or does it only install to the default location?

Thanks again!

-mobius

hi, i've updated this guide with a brand new one, so please use that one instead (shown below), but as regards your questions...

1. yes,. it's designed for Server 2016

2. works for me, what error do you get ?

3. The blog post assumes you have sql on the same server as SCCM, so it should work just fine, adjust the sql ini file to decide where it gets installed

Hey!  Thank you so much for your quick response! 

The link works now (I was just not signed in when I tried clicking on it).  I've manually installed all the roles onto the CM01 server.  Now I'm at step 8: Installing SQL.  I'm going to edit your script and give it a shot. 

Thanks so much!

So I ran into a snag while running the SQL install script.  I'm getting this error: "An unknown command-line option [CONFIGURATIONFILE=E:Scripts\ConfigurationFile.ini] was specified.

It looks like the script is continuing to run and is currently installing the SQL Server 2016 SSMS.  But I don't think it installed SQL Server 2016. 

The configuration file is there in the E:\Scripts directory and it looks good. Once this is done I will try running the script again and see what happens. 

The How can I install System Center Configuration Manager version 1606 (Current Branch) on Windows Server 2016 with SQL 2016 Post mentions about various scripts from the download section could you please indicate were they are

Thanks

First off, whomever created the script to install SQL...  THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! 

Second, is there any way to modify that script to separate the SQL Data, SQL Logs, SQL backup, and SQL temp to a different drive?

C-OSDrive
D-ProgramFiles
E-SQLData
F-SQLLogs
G-SQLBackups
T-SQLTemp

Thank you in advance for any help!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, duckman8u2 said:

First off, whomever created the script to install SQL...  THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! 

Second, is there any way to modify that script to separate the SQL Data, SQL Logs, SQL backup, and SQL temp to a different drive?

C-OSDrive
D-ProgramFiles
E-SQLData
F-SQLLogs
G-SQLBackups
T-SQLTemp

Thank you in advance for any help!

and thank you for thanking me for creating it !

it's probably possible to separate those and if you are lucky I may release that in the next version of this blog post, so look out for the 1706 version of this blog post coming in the future, hopefully I will have that capability added then,

by the way, did you see that ive released a 1702 version of this guide here ?

cheers

niall

In reference to the error "ERROR: Error reading branch status. SAActive and CurrentBranch needs to be specified when installing a CAS or standalone primary site. "

The only file I have found that seems to be the file you reference adding the section to is the ConfigurationFile.ini in the downloaded scripts. Or is it the ConfigMgrSave.ini? I have added the section to both and still get the error.

I have not found a Configuration.ini file. Unless I'm looking in the wrong place. Or is adding it something other than just putting the text at the end of the other text in the files?

if you are NOT using eval (as in my example) then you need to add this section to the configuration.ini file

[SABranchOptions]
SAActive=1
CurrentBranch=1

i'll reword it, simply edit the Install SCCM Current Branch version 1606.ps1 script, it contains the bits that create the configuration.ini file.

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 10:35 AM, anyweb said:

if you are NOT using eval (as in my example) then you need to add this section to the configuration.ini file

[SABranchOptions]
SAActive=1
CurrentBranch=1

What configuration.ini file?  And if we are not using the eval software then what do we put in the $ProductID variable in the Install SCCM script?

On 8/9/2017 at 2:55 AM, Witchdoctor said:

What configuration.ini file?  And if we are not using the eval software then what do we put in the $ProductID variable in the Install SCCM script?

sorry, what i mean is you need to modify the PowerShell script (Install SCCM Current Branch version 1606.ps1), and edit the corresponding section which creates the configuration.ini file.

34 minutes ago, kesh said:

Can you upgrade your MP deom Server 2012R2, SQL 2012, System Center Current Branch to Server 2016 with SQL 2016, and System Center 2016, and leave all your DPs on Server 2012R2? will that cause any issue?

this is a separate question to this topic right ?