Config Mangler

Build failures on SCCM 1710

We are experiencing build failures in maybe 10-15% of cases since SCCM 1710 upgrade.

OSD initiated from the SCCM client can lead to a failure on reboot into WinPE where the computer goes into the WinRE recovery environment.

If the computer is power cycled it will continue the build.

This is happening on three different types of hardware. I can get to a command prompt in WinRE so can provide logs though can't see anything in SMSTS log.

It's the same issue as reported here but changing the language setting didn't help.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SCCM/comments/7ktj8q/sccm_1710_boot_image_keyboard_layout_recovery/

SCCM environment:

Server 2012 R2

SCCM 1701 + KB4057517

ADK 1709

Target OS Windows 10 x64 Enterprise 1703

Any thoughts?

You would think it's a BIOS / timing type issue as it can't see the disk and goes into WinRE mode. It continues after a manual reboot or two!

BitLocker not an issue as I'm getting the same behaviour on laptops and unencrypted desktops.

I have updated a HP EliteBook 820 G3 (which is a current model) to the latest 1.24 BIOS but still the same.

Have logged a premier call now so will report back.

This is now escalated with Microsoft for a code review.

To be clear this failure only happens when rebuilding from Windows 10 to Windows 10 using the SCCM client.

We think the failure happens when there are updates pending in Windows. It doesn't happen every time so it may be a combination of certain updates. My point with Microsoft is that the SCCM client should be able to handle this particularly if you are doing a wipe and load and don't care about updates.