samerc

OSD task sequence fails after installing SCCM SP2

Question

hi.

i recently installed SCCM 2007 R2 SP1, and deployed XP SP3 successfully as described in the forums here.

however, i had to upgrade SCCM to SP2 in order to deploy Windows 7.

after upgrading, i was not able to deploy windows xp (nor windows 7) to my test machine. the TS fails after starting up. I tried to check if the machine got an IP, and it did have an IP from the subnet

after looking at the looking at the log file, i was able to dig this out:

Failed to download pxe variable file. Code(0x00000001)

PxeGetPxeData failed with 0x80004005

Can anyone help me ?

Thanks,

Samer

9 answers to this question

the sp2 upgrade renders any custom boot images obsolete amongst other things,

did you check your task sequences to see if they used a custom boot image ?

Can you elaborate on this? I use a custom boot image, I've upgraded to SP2, what do I need to do to get it working again? I didn't add any drivers to the boot image so I have no drivers to re-import... should I just delete the boot image package and re-add it? I'm getting the exact same error in my log:

thanks.

the sp2 upgrade renders any custom boot images obsolete amongst other things,

did you check your task sequences to see if they used a custom boot image ?

can you guys verify that your PXE certificate is still valid ?

Hey thanks for the quick reply,

From other searching I now think my problem is related to lack of a NIC driver in the winpe boot image. One boot image which I've used in the past successfully has a driver, now I'm trying to PXE boot on 64bit hardware and the 64bit boot winpe image does not have a NIC driver included, and when the task sequence hangs, I hit F8 for command prompt support, type IPCONFIG and I get nothing, so yeah, I think it needs a NIC driver - but, I'm trying to add one and I keep getting an error:

Failed to insert OSD binaries into the WIM file

seen that before? I've tried a number of different drivers. Is the WIM file locked or something? is there some step I'm missing?

you need to add the windows 7 nic drivers to your boot images assuming its sccm 2007 sp2, otherwise its windows vista nic drivers

and....... is your account a local administrator on that server ?

hi.

i recently installed SCCM 2007 R2 SP1, and deployed XP SP3 successfully as described in the forums here.

however, i had to upgrade SCCM to SP2 in order to deploy Windows 7.

after upgrading, i was not able to deploy windows xp (nor windows 7) to my test machine. the TS fails after starting up. I tried to check if the machine got an IP, and it did have an IP from the subnet

after looking at the looking at the log file, i was able to dig this out:

Can anyone help me ?

Thanks,

Samer

Hi,

If you upgrade from SCCM Sp1 to SP2 ,the default images will be updated where as the custom images will remain the same and you should also check if the TS is mapping to the old boot image(WinPE 2.0).Task list in upgrading from SP1 to SP2 ,you can just have a look at this: http://solodig.com/mdt-sccm/task-list-in-doing-sccm-sp1-mdt-2008-to-sccm-sp2-mdt-2010

you need to add the windows 7 nic drivers to your boot images assuming its sccm 2007 sp2, otherwise its windows vista nic drivers

and....... is your account a local administrator on that server ?

ok yes, I definitely need to add Win 7 nic drivers - is there some universal one? silly question i'm thinking but have to ask. I have a x64 desktop with nothing on it, it's a new model lenovo M series thinkcentre. I download one of the their nic drivers and there appear to be about 40 various versions of the driver in the EXE I got... not sure if there is some way of figuring this out without adding one at a time???