Scott S

USMT 4.0 Package and Program setup

Question

Is there a thread on here to show how to properly setup the Package and programs for USMT 4.0 to work with 'Offline Mode and XP to Win7 Demo' that you posted? In your post on how to do the process, it just states to use your USMT package, but when doing that I get an error saying it can't locate a program for my package. I tried adding scanstate and loadstae as a program for the package and still get the error. I've double checked my distribution points but still getting the same error.

Thanks a bunch for all your help!!!

10 answers to this question

to create the USMT 4 package point to the USMT 4 folder root and you are done, no need to create any program, make sure to distribute the package to your dp's.

which task sequence did you look at ?

the only one that should work properly through WinPE is the Offline one, that is designed for that very purpose,

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1735-using-offline-mode-in-windows-pe-using-usmt-4-via-a-task-sequence-in-sccm-2007-sp2/

have you tried that one ?

which task sequence are you having the problems with please ?

Thanks for the reply,

I'm trying the Offline WinPE one you created. In your steps, you state to just use our current USMT4.0 package and just have the package point directly to the x86 folder. Do I need to associate any programs with that package? Or is it just a basic package that needs the source files to point to the x86 folder?

For the RunScanState package, is that just a basic batch file package you created?

Also when running the task sequence via WinPE i'm getting an error when running the task. I keep getting an error saying unable to start task sequence, program files cannot be located on the distribution point. How do I verify that? I setup the distrubtion points like I do on all my other packages that work perfectly fine. But for some reason with this one it says it can't find the program files on the distrubution point.

I've tried running that batch file you created manually in WinPE and I'm only able to do the scanstate to save my data locally on the C:. When I try pointing it to a server share it complains I don't have permission. But I checked the share and I have full rights to it. I even setup everyone with full control and it still won't save to a network share. I'm able to access the share via command prompt and do whatever I want. But via the script it won't work, is there an switches that need to be done to use my credentials when running the scanstate script?

Sorry for the dragged out reply. I know i'm kind of going off subject.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

in relation to the USMT packages used in the offline winpe task sequence the first USMT package is created as follows:-

In ConfigMGr browse to Software Distribution, packages, right click choose new package, browse to c:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\USMT\X86 as the data source.

Make sure to distribute to dp's. No need to create a program for this package, call this package USMT 4 x86 or something easily identified

Note: that the above is NOT the normal way we create a package for USMT 4, but we do it because this is a workaround to get offline mode in scanstate...

ok, that's the first package, the second package is used in the Restore User files and settings and it is a normal USMT 4 package which is created by pointing at c:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\USMT (which contains sub folders for both architectures).

I hope this is clear now ?

if you are still having issues then attach your SMSTS.log file

cheers

niall

Thank Niall for all your help. I'm still getting the same type of error. Sorry for such a noob question, I can't find the smsts.log files. I've looked on my SCCM server as well as my PXE server and unable to locate it. Sorry for all the trouble, I don't know whats up with me right now unable to find this log file.

Also just an FYI. For the USMT 4 package, what I did was copy my usmt files from my c:\program files\Windows AIK...etc... to my SCCM server under a folder called USMT. And when I built my package I just pointed the data source directly to the x86 folder. That should be fine right?

Thanks again.

the SMSTS.log file is found by enabling the F8 troubleshooting feature, infact that and many other tips/guides are found here. i'd suggest you bookmark that one :)

in relation to the USMT packages,

a normal USMT 4 package points to the installation folder of USMT 4 which is usually c:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\USMT\ when creating the package...

that way the normal USMT4 package contains two sub folders (x86 and x64) so it can handle both 32bit and 64bit state requests,

the modified package we use in the beginning task sequence is merely one half of this, namely the X86 part, it's a separate package because we are doing an X86 scanstate.exe in this task sequence in windows PE, if we were using the X64 windows PE boot image we'd need the X64 scanstate bits instead,

i know it's a bit confusing but it's the only way I know of to do this currently as I've found no documentation for it anywhere to say otherwise

this workaround is only for doing Offline scanstate in Windows PE, all other USMT 4 tasks should be done with the standard USMT 4 package which contains both architectures..

cheers

niall

<![LOG[Failed to find CCM_SoftwareDistribution object for AdvertID=ADM2008D", PackageID="ADM000BD", ProgramID="*]LOG]!><time="12:45:54.000+480" date="02-25-2010" component="TSPxe" context="" type="3" thread="1252" file="tspolicy.cpp:2301">

<![LOG[(*iTSReference)->Resolve( pTSPolicyManager, dwResolveFlags ), HRESULT=80040104 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\framework\tscore\tspolicy.cpp,2862)]LOG]!><time="12:45:54.000+480" date="02-25-2010" component="TSPxe" context="" type="0" thread="1252" file="tspolicy.cpp:2862">

<![LOG[m_pSelectedTaskSequence->Resolve( m_pPolicyManager, TS::Policy::TaskSequence::ResolvePolicy | TS::Policy::TaskSequence::ResolveSource, fpCallbackProc, pv, hCancelEvent), HRESULT=80040104 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\client\tasksequence\tsmbootstrap\tsmediawizardcontrol.cpp,1208)]LOG]!><time="12:45:54.000+480" date="02-25-2010" component="TSPxe" context="" type="0" thread="1252" file="tsmediawizardcontrol.cpp:1208">

<![LOG[Failed to resolve selected task sequence dependencies. Code(0x80040104)]LOG]!><time="12:45:54.000+480" date="02-25-2010" component="TSPxe" context="" type="3" thread="1252" file="tsmediawizardcontrol.cpp:1208">

find out what that is and verify that it's updated on the distribution points, then try again