Seelbreaker

Auto-Domain Join does nothing

Question

Hello everyone :)

since 3 days i'm trying to get the Windows 7 Images which i've captured with ImageX deployed over WDS.

At the beginning everything looks fine. PXE-Boot is working and starting right off with the Installation of my Image. Partitions are wiped and new are created. But there are 2 things which won't work and that is the Domain-Join and the renaming of the machine, after doing the first boot i can do it manually without any problems. I've started with these Tutorials here, to see how to make my own 2 unattended.xml files. But yet im stuck and don't know what to do.

I've done Screenshots of my WDS-Configuration (sorry, they're in German but the Position should be the same) and also attached the xml-files so hopefully someone can see what i don't see.

For the full Information:

The WDS-Server is running under Windows Server 2008 R2. It has the following Roles:

Active Directory Services

DNS

DHCP

WDS

The WDS has its own partition on the same Server (D:\)

General.png

PXE-Response_Settings.png

Directory_Services.png

Start.png

Client.png

DHCP.png

Multicast.png

Network_Settings.png

Here are also the Settings of the Image:

Image.png

There is a line in the setupact.log where i have the feeling that the Unattended.xml isn't touched:

2010-06-25 10:44:44, Info       [0x0b007f] WDS    ProcessImageUnattend: WdsCliGetUnattendVariables returned hr = [0x0]
2010-06-25 10:44:46, Info       [0x0b0080] WDS    ProcessImageUnattend: WdsCliGetDomainJoinInformation returned hr = [0x0]
2010-06-25 10:44:46, Info       [0x0b0074] WDS    ProcessImageUnattend: Copied an image unattend file to [X:\sources\wdsunattend\WdsImageUnattend.xml].
2010-06-25 10:44:46, Info       [0x0b007b] WDS    DomainJoinInformation: Join Domain = [N]
2010-06-25 10:44:46, Info       [0x0b007b] WDS    DomainJoinInformation: Account Exists = [N]
2010-06-25 10:44:46, Info       [0x0b007b] WDS    DomainJoinInformation: Prestage Using MAC = [N]
2010-06-25 10:44:46, Info       [0x0b007b] WDS    DomainJoinInformation: Reset Boot Program Path = [N]
2010-06-25 10:44:46, Info       [0x0b007b] WDS    DomainJoinInformation: Machine Name = [PC%#]
2010-06-25 10:44:46, Info       [0x0b007b] WDS    DomainJoinInformation: Machine Domain = []
2010-06-25 10:44:46, Info       [0x0b007b] WDS    DomainJoinInformation: Machine OU = [CN=Computers,DC=laux,DC=loc]
2010-06-25 10:44:46, Info       [0x0b007b] WDS    DomainJoinInformation: Machine Dn = []
2010-06-25 10:44:46, Info       [0x0b007b] WDS    DomainJoinInformation: First Name = []
2010-06-25 10:44:46, Info       [0x0b007b] WDS    DomainJoinInformation: Last Name = []
2010-06-25 10:44:46, Info       [0x0b007d] WDS    ProcessDomainJoinInformation: No special unattend domain join processing will take place.

I've also inclued the whole Panther Folder as an zip if this would help. This is from the latest try to deploy Windows 7... Also the User which is in the unattended.xml is a Domain administrator

Hopefully someone here could help me. Please tell me, if you need further details, so that i can provide you with them.

Regards

Seelbreaker

wdslogs.zip

ImageUnattend - copy.xml

WDSClientUnattend - copy.xml

5 answers to this question

look here >

2010-06-25 10:44:46, Info [0x0b007b] WDS DomainJoinInformation: Machine OU = [CN=Computers,DC=laux,DC=loc]

are you specifying the Computer Container as an Organisational Unit ? it's a container so that will fail...

cheers

niall

look here >

are you specifying the Computer Container as an Organisational Unit ? it's a container so that will fail...

cheers

niall

Well this settings wheren't in my unattended.xml. There i had it like this:

OU=LX_Win7,OU=LX_Workstations,DC=laux,DC=loc

so it looks like this where the default settings which has been used from the wds.

Hello there,

I'm having the same problem as Seelbreaker. For some reason my computer it's no getting the name according to the policy I set which is "GK%03#" without quotes and I'm not getting

the pc to join the AD domain. I've trying a lot suggestions that I've found on internet with no luck.

I have two xml files the first one (ChoosImage_.xml) I have no problems with it. It creates the partition and select the specific image on the server and starts the installation.

The second file which I named xyz.xml it's the one I'm having trouble with. I assigned * to the computer name expecting that wds naming policy will take effect but it did not. Instead it gets a random name based on RegisteredOrganization and RegisteredOwner string values, which in my case are: WolfNet and WolfNetUser respectively.

The second problem I'm having with this file is that the PC is not joining the domain automatically.

This is a hypothetical domain name(WolfNet) is nothing real, I created it for studies purposes.

I'm sending pics of my WDS server settings as follow.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Hello there,

I'm having the same problem as Seelbreaker. For some reason my computer it's no getting the name according to the policy I set which is "GK%03#" without quotes and I'm not getting

the pc to join the AD domain. I've trying a lot suggestions that I've found on internet with no luck.

I have two xml files the first one (ChoosImage_.xml) I have no problems with it. It creates the partition and select the specific image on the server and starts the installation.

The second file which I named xyz.xml it's the one I'm having trouble with. I assigned * to the computer name expecting that wds naming policy will take effect but it did not. Instead it gets a random name based on RegisteredOrganization and RegisteredOwner string values, which in my case are: WolfNet and WolfNetUser respectively.

The second problem I'm having with this file is that the PC is not joining the domain automatically.

This is a hypothetical domain name(WolfNet) is nothing real, I created it for studies purposes.

I'm sending pics of my WDS server settings as attachment.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

ChooseImage_.xml

xyz.xml

post-11771-0-36412900-1317503202_thumb.jpg

post-11771-0-48913600-1317503207_thumb.jpg

post-11771-0-30280700-1317503212_thumb.jpg

post-11771-0-33531000-1317503217_thumb.jpg

post-11771-0-17078500-1317503221_thumb.jpg