xerxes2985

WSUS can't complete post-installation tasks

Question

Hello,

I recently had an issue where the WSUS on my configuration manager server wouldn't work any longer. I went ahead and removed the software update point role and removed the wsus role to just start fresh. Now once it completed, I went ahead to run the post-install task, and get the errors listed in the attached temp file.

After reinstallation of the role and failure of the post-install tasks, I rebooted the server. Additionally, I have tried reinstalling using PowerShell, and still, the end result is still the same.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

tmp75CF.tmp

3 answers to this question

That I did not do. I got so frustrated that I just setup a separate WSUS server with its own separate SQL instance instead of it being on the MECM server. I haven't tested the connection yet to synchronize from the upstream server as I am just waiting for the synchronization of the WSUS server I setup to complete.

Okay - now a new issue. Why is this so frustrating to get working. 

New WSUS server is working, updates are synchronizing, 8530, 8531 inbound traffic allowed.
On my MECM server, I have the WSUS console installed, per the message on the SUP properties page. Using the WSUS console, I can connect to remote WSUS server. 
image.png.580fcd60ab85ddc93ca0f179365bc2d8.png

I have the SUP configured on my Primary Site Server and have the synchronize from an update data source specified to the remote WSUS server. Additionally, I went ahead and deleted the SUSDB from the SQL Server running on the primary site server.

image.png.90dfcbccee712fffd46f86a546a11c2a.png

When I attempt synchronization, the following errors appear in the logs (wsyncmgr and wcm)

From WCM.log

Attempting connection to local WSUS server
Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.WsusInvalidServerException: Exception of type 'Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.WsusInvalidServerException' was thrown.~~   at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.AdminProxy.GetUpdateServer()~~   at Microsoft.SystemsManagementServer.WSUS.WSUSServer.ConnectToWSUSServer(String ServerName, Boolean UseSSL, Int32 PortNumber)
Remote configuration failed on WSUS Server.    SMS_WSUS_CONFIGURATION_MANAGER    7/19/2023 11:49:24 AM    13264 (0x33D0)
STATMSG: ID=6600 SEV=E LEV=M SOURCE="SMS Server" COMP="SMS_WSUS_CONFIGURATION_MANAGER" SYS=SERVERNAME.DOMAIN SITE=LIB PID=9692 TID=13264 GMTDATE=Wed Jul 19 16:49:24.443 2023 ISTR0="SERVERNAME.DOMAIN" ISTR1="" ISTR2="" ISTR3="" ISTR4="" ISTR5="" ISTR6="" ISTR7="" ISTR8="" ISTR9="" NUMATTRS=0 LE=0X0
Setting new configuration state to 3 (WSUS_CONFIG_FAILED)

From wsyncmgr.log

Read SUPs from SCF for SERVERNAME.DOMAIN
Found active SUP SERVERNAME.DOMAIN from SCF File.
DB Server not detected for SUP SERVERNAME.DOMAIN from SCF File. skipping.
Sync failed: WSUS update source not found on site LIB. Please refer to WCM.log for configuration error details.. Source: getSiteUpdateSource    SMS_WSUS_SYNC_MANAGER    7/19/2023 11:50:19 AM    6736 (0x1A50)
STATMSG: ID=6703 SEV=E LEV=M SOURCE="SMS Server" COMP="SMS_WSUS_SYNC_MANAGER" SYS=SERVERNAME.DOMAIN SITE=LIB PID=9692 TID=6736 GMTDATE=Wed Jul 19 16:50:19.333 2023 ISTR0="getSiteUpdateSource" ISTR1="WSUS update source not found on site LIB. Please refer to WCM.log for configuration error details." ISTR2="" ISTR3="" ISTR4="" ISTR5="" ISTR6="" ISTR7="" ISTR8="" ISTR9="" NUMATTRS=0 LE=0X80004005    SMS_WSUS_SYNC_MANAGER    7/19/2023 11:50:19 AM    6736 (0x1A50)
Sync failed. Will retry in 60 minutes

What am I missing, or where else can I look.