anyweb

Customising Windows 7 deployments - part 4.

Question

If you live in Europe you'll most likely need to deploy some additional languages on top of English Windows 7. To achieve this we can add them at the Build and Capture stage or indeed in our Deploy Windows 7 Enterprise task sequence.

All installations of Windows® 7 contain at least one language pack and the language-neutral binaries that make up the core operating system. Licensing requirements state that Windows 7 can include only a single language, with the exception of the Windows 7 Ultimate and the Enterprise editions. These are referred to as single-language editions. However, the Windows 7 Ultimate and Enterprise editions can include multiple language packs. These are referred to as multilingual editions.

To see which versions of Windows support Language Packs please review this post on MSDN and scroll down to the Windows 7 editions multilingual support summary.

What do I need ?

You will need some things in place to add the languages offline, namely MDT 2010 Update 1 integrated into ConfigMgr 2007 SP2 and you'll need to download the Language packs from MSDN.

Where can I find Windows 7 Language Packs ?

Download the language pack from MSDN which suits your architecture, choose a language other than English (eg: Swedish) then choose the Windows 7 operating system, in the downloads listed you’ll see these:-

Windows 7 Language Pack (x64) - DVD (Multiple Languages) 8/6/2009 - 2,200 (MB)
Windows 7 Language Pack (x86) - DVD (Multiple Languages) 8/6/2009 - 1,846 (MB)

How can I Add Language Packs to ConfigMgr?

Language packs are .cab files that you can add to System Center Configuration Manager packages either offline or online. Before adding language packs, however, create a System Center Configuration Manager package that contains one or more language packs.

In our example here, we will add language packs using one language per package, so for the Swedish Langauge pack, our SCCM package looks like so:-

swedish langauge pack.jpg

the Data Source points to the share with our Swedish Language Pack eg:-

\\sccm\sources\Windows 7 Language Pack - Swedish

and that path contains the following, a sub dr (eg: sv-se) which contains the lp.cab file and nothing more.

data source path.jpg

Note:- All language packs in the same System Center Configuration Manager package are deployed together. If you want to deploy different combinations of language packs, create multiple System Center Configuration Manager packages.

Get the Task Sequence

Download the following Task Sequence and import it into ConfigMgr.

Install Language Pack Offline.XML

Let's look closer at this task sequence,

install language packs offline.jpg

First you'll notice that the entire section is separated into a Group, this is to keep things organised and to help you in adding it to your Deploy Task Sequence.

Important: This group must be placed in the PostInstall section of your Deploy Task Sequence, and preferably after that Apply Windows Settings and Apply Network Settings Steps, in addition this group must go before the Setup Windows and ConfigMgr steps otherwise the Install Language Pack offline step will fail.

install language pack offline in a ts.jpg

Ok let's look at the steps themselves and see what they do.

The Swedish sub Group is responsible for installing the Swedish Language pack if a variable called languageValue=Swedish. How you set that variable is up to you, you can set it via a FrontEnd HTA (recommended) or by simply using a Set Task Sequence variable step (before this Group) such as this (not included in the sample task sequence):-

Task Sequence Variable: languageValue
Value: Swedish

Swedish options.jpg

If languageValue is determined to = Swedish it then carries out two steps
Sets a task sequence variable called OSDUILanguage = sv-SE

OSDUIlanguage.jpg

and then calls the built-in MDT Step, Install Language Packs offline (which references the ZTIpatches.wsf script). This step points to our previously made Swedish Language Package.

install language pack offline step.jpg

The actual step takes some minutes as it has to expand lots of files in the cab, and inject them offline (using DISM) into our Windows 7 image.

How do we set OSDUILanguage in Windows

You'll need to create an Unattend.xml file which specifically mentions the OSDUILanguage variable

<UILanguage>%OSDUILanguage%</UILanguage>

or use this one which I created earlier.

OSD_Variables_added.xml

This file must be referenced in the Apply Operating System Image step otherwise the Install Language Pack Offline step will fail as it won't know what variable to set.

osd_variables_added.jpg

You can create this unattend.xml file yourself using Windows SIM or use the sample i provide, just remember that the architecture must match the image, and this sample is for 32bit Windows 7 Enterprise (X86).

Ok I've done all the steps, now what ?

Deploy Windows 7, set the language pack variable either in the Task Sequence or using a HTA, and the end result is that you get your language pack installed as the default language within Windows. The Setup Windows and ConfigMgr step actually inserts our value (sv-SE) in place of our variable in our unattend.xml file so that the following line

becomes

<UILanguage>sv-SE</UILanguage>

which eventually means that your OS is in Swedish.

swedish.jpg

Troubleshooting Notes

* use the log files, in particular ztipatches.log which documents what happens when it trys to use DISM to inject the changes

* Use at least 1gb ram in your virtual machines otherwise the step will fail to install any language packs (will run out of ram). (1gb for X86 and 1.28 gb for X64)

* create the MDT toolkit package the proper way via a Create MDT Task Sequence wizard - why ? see this post

After the Install Language Pack Offline step the following will be created in c:\_smstasksequence\

dirs.jpg

namely:-

Packages<dir>
ZTIPatches.tmp
packageGroups.xml

in the Packages directory you’ll have more subdirectories based on how many lp’s you included, one language pack, one dir, 4 language packs in your ConfigMgr Language Package, 4 dirs...

package dirs.jpg

you may also see a directory called _smstasksequence\SMSOSD\osdlogs and in there are three files including a log file called BDD_PKGMGR.LOG, analyse it if you are having issues deploying Language packs offline as it will reveal the success or failure of the DISM operations.

Unattend.xml changes

You can press F8 in WinPE and browse to the locations below and use notepad to examine the changes to the unattend.xml file.

Note: The unattend.xml file and/or C:\Windows\Panther\Unattend folder may not appear in your image until directly after the Apply Operating System Image step and the contents of that file depends on whether or not an unattend.xml file was specified in that step.

Before the Setup Windows and ConfigMgr step is complete you can monitor c:\windows\panther\unattend\unattend.xml to see what is happening in relation to your modifications taking place or not

After the Setup Windows and ConfigMgr step is complete, you’ll see the following has been added to your c:\windows\panther\unattend.xml file. If it is not added or if there are no changes to the %OSD...% variables then something has failed and it's time to troubleshoot.

lp added.jpg

Note: The above locations are during the Windows PE phase. After the Setup Windows and ConfigMgr step is complete it will reboot your computer (unless you have a command prompt open in WinPE), and after that reboot the unattend.xml file will have been removed (by the Setup Windows and ConfigMgr step...).

the other values (keyboard layout and so on) are added via separate steps in the Task Sequence which I'll cover in another post.

cheers !

niall.

• Like 1

installing the language pack online takes place AFTER logging in for the first time and can only be done using Administrative permission,

downside of this is that a gui pops up installing the language pack after the user logs on, and takes many minutes before completion, far better (in my opinion) to install the LP during the os installation, so that when the user does get to login that nothing delays their ability to use the computer straight away,

here's a snippet from the MDT documentation

To add language packs online to Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows Server 2008

1. In the Configuration Manager Console, go to Operating System Deployment/Task Sequence.

2. Right-click task_sequence (where task_sequence is the name of the task sequence you want to edit), and then click Edit.

3. In the Task Sequence Editor dialog box, under the State Restore phase, go to the Restart Computer task.

4. Click Add, click MDT, and then click Install Language Packs Online.

5. Type the relevant information in the Name and Description boxes, and then click Browse to select a language pack package to install.

6. Click OK to save the settings, and then close the Task Sequence Editor.

Note When used in MDT 2010, the term online means that the computer is booted into an operating system but run as an Administrator user so that final configurations can be made to the running operating system.

If you want to install language packs online, you can use the MDT step in your task sequence or indeed add the Language specific code in your unattend.xml by clicking on Insert, choose Pass 7 oobeSystem

And paste the following line in

Lpksetup.exe /I %OSDUILanguage% /r /p C:\LangPacks\x86\%OSDUILanguage%\

The Lpksetup tool does not process language packs in any configuration pass other than auditUser and oobeSystem.

After the installation of Windows 7 (right at the end after you login for the first time…)

You’ll see – (if deploying Language Pack online and if you login as an administrator)

long story short the following will end up in your unattend.xml if doing an language pack ONLINE installation

Untitled.jpg

cheers

niall

Ok Niall, it make sens, it was that i thought :)

So, it will be useful anyways, because, actually, i want to deploy Server 2008 R2 SP1, SP1 have a new LP SP1...and Server 2008R2 is not slipstream with sp1 yet.. so i have to install SP1 in my TS (this online after setup windows configuring task), so install LP after SP1, so online ! :lol:

Regards,

Niall,

Is it possible to set the languageValue e.g. languageValue=Swedish within customsettings.ini?

I already set the keyboardlocale, inputlocale & systemlocale according to the network number. Adding the languageValue section here would be ideal. However, I am unsure if its a valid location?

Cheers

Thanks for the excellent article.

I am having some issues deploying this setup. Obviously it works well. The differences with my setup is I am using the RTM copy of Win7 Enterprise, along with the RTM language packs. I see you are using Win7 SP1 Media and Language Packs.

The MDT-Integrated task kicks off in SCCM 2007 R3, but when it comes to the step to install the language pack (Spanish), it downloads it, pauses for a second, then moves right to the next step, which is install Windows and ConfigMgr.

Any ideas? I see a few other users with this issue. You helped a guy named Simon out with a similar problem but files in my MDT folder dont seem to be the problem. Thanks in advance.

I resolved my issue. It now works successfully.

Everyone - be sure that you do not allow the SCCM Package Source path to go straight to lp.cab - follow the directions in this article exactly. Make a directory above the language folder and place the language folder in it. Be sure the lp.cab is in the language folder.

For example - your SCCM package source for Spanish would be \\server\source\spanish, and inside the spanish folder would be es-ES\lp.cab. When you send the package to the DP's, es-ES\lp.cab will be on your smspkgd$ shares.

This step is critical. If you dont do this step, the task will deploy, but the LP will not install without any errors on screen or in the logs. I was banging my head on the desk for some time.

- T.

• Like 2

I Try a lot of things to install the language packs but nothing works.

I did what you write, but by the installation of “Install Dutch Language Pack” I get the message: The task sequence execution engine failed execution of a task sequence with exit code 1. Nothing more than that.

This is what I did:

• install MDT Update 1
  • Fix this problem: http:\\support.microsoft.com/kb/2547191
  • Download Language pack on this way: I just pull updates downloaded from Windows Update directly from the %WINDIR%\SoftwareDistribution\Download\Install folder. So, I have downloaded the required packs and copied them from there.
  • With SCCM, I make a package of the language Dutch that contains a map with the name nl-nl. There I put the Cap-file
  • Then I make a task sequence:
    • Restart in Windows PE
    • Partition disk 0
    • Apply operating system: -Install Windows 7 SP1 Enterprice UK x6
    • Apply Windows setting
    • Apply Network settings
    • Install language Pack
      • Set languageValue=Dutch
      • Map Dutch with the task sequence variable: languagevalue equals “Dutch”
      • Set Task Sequence Variable: OSDUILanguage nl-nl
      • Install Dutch Language Pack

[*]Setup windows and ConfigMgr

[*]Install Software Updates

[*]Capture the reference machine…..

Then I made an Unattend xml with the name “OSD_variables_addes.xml”
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
<settings pass="oobeSystem">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="
xmlns:xsi="
<InputLocale>%OSDInputLocale%</InputLocale>
<SystemLocale>%OSDSystemLocale%</SystemLocale>
<UILanguageFallback>%OSDUILanguageFallback%</UILanguageFallback>
<UserLocale>%OSDUserLocale%</UserLocale>
</component>
</settings>
<cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="wim://umcmwpsccm01/sccm/os/windows7sp1x64enterprice_uk/sources/install.wim#Windows 7 ENTERPRISE" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
</unattend>
  • Put xml file by properties “apply operating system”

I don’t now what I doing wrong. Can you help me?

No, it's also not working with Windows 7 (not sp1)

In ConfigMgr Report I get this message:

Resolved source to '\\UMCMWPSCCM01.domain.NL\SMSPKGE$\MWP000B3' Command line for extension .exe is "%1" %* Set command line: Run command line Working dir '\\UMCMWPSCCM01.domain.NL\SMSPKGE$\MWP000B3' Executing command line: Run command line

I make a Package that contains de Dutch Language and I also make a distribution point for that. I make no Programs for this Package. Can that be the reason?

Edited by JvdA

I find it out! I did not make a toolkit package of MDT and to put that in the task-sequence. I put also the task "Gather" (gather only local data (do not process rules) ) in the tasksequence.

Now I have another problem: I can only install one language.....