Warrer

Deploying W7 using SCCM 2007 AND SCCM 2012

Question

Hello guys,

This request is kind of special but this is due to the migration we are doing. In fact we are in an environment where two Active Directory trees are presents, one with SCCM 2007 the other with SCCM 2012.

The thing is during the migration, the workstation has to change its domain to the one with SCCM 2012.

However, my problem is that I need to boot in Windows PE from the SCCM 2007, then download the WIM image and the SCCM client from the SCCM 2012.

Is there a way to do that? I think I basically need a script to change "the environment" during the Task Sequence.

Thanks a lot :)

If I wasn't clear enough, please do feel free to ask me questions.

4 answers to this question

well i dont know how you can boot into winpe to the sccm 2007 server and switch to another server mid install, it doesnt work like that, it's either one or the other, how would the cm12 server know that you pxe booted ? how would it know that you selected an advertisement/deployment,

what i'd suggest you do is pxe boot on the CM12 side and install your computers there, or is there a reason not to do this ?

Well I am kind of new with this but here is the environment;

-The SCCM 2007 is installed in the same domain as the workstations that will be migrated (wks have the SCCM 2007 client installed).

-SCCM 2012 will be in a "test" tree (at the same level of AD as the domain of the SCCM 2007).

-We need to use USMT to backup all users data before the migration.

In the end workstations will have a new OS and a new domain.

So that the solution I had in mind but if I don't see something easier in order to have it, please let me know :) As I said I am kind of new with all of this!

For instance if SCCM 2012 (while being in a different forest tree) can backup everything using USMT on WKS with SCCM 2007 clients installed in a different tree of the forest, then I do not see an objection.