togeoff

No SMS_SiteToSiteConnection_WIN found, but

I was following Anyweb's instructions in preparation to deploy Vista with SCCM.

In the preparations, it identifies a requirement to put the SCCM machine account into some groups. One being "SMS_SiteToSiteConnection_xxx".

But I don't have these groups!

Should I create them?

Does it mean my installation is not right?

Can I deploy o/s without these groups?

Notes.

I have domain admin access only. I have install SCCM on our domain only in Mixed mode with SCCM SP1.

Note that I can push applications to PCs without problem.

My next desired step is to configure this Vista O/S deployment.

Geoff.

did you verify you have advanced view turned on in AD users and computers...

Yes I do have that ticked. I've also tried:

-searching from the root of my part of the domain.

-Looking in the usual place such as users folder.

Is it needed in a mixed enviroment?

Could it exist somewhere in the enterprise root?

I actually thought I saw it some time ago. But I have done several test installations and its possible that it was with one of these.

Should I re-run install?

is SCCM installed on the server that you are attempting to locate this information on ? the SMS_* groups are created when SCCM is installed...

you are looking in Active Directory users and Computers in the USERS section arnt you ????

give me more details please

cheers

anyweb

is SCCM installed on the server that you are attempting to locate this information on ? the SMS_* groups are created when SCCM is installed...

you are looking in Active Directory users and Computers in the USERS section arnt you ????

give me more details please

cheers

anyweb

Ummmmm, maybe.....

So its local groups, not AD.... Man, is my face red.

shouldn't matter at all, when you instaslled SCCM, did you install it on a computer which is joined to this AD (joined to this domain) ?

Yes, it is installed on a computer which is joined to the Domain that I manage. Note that this is not the Enterprise level domain.

ok this is how to do it (had the problem myself today !) this issue will occur when you install SCCM on a different computer to the domain controlller, in my guides I had SCCM setup and running on the DC, hence the differences...

To resolve this:

on the Domain Controller, login to Active Directory Users and Computers, enable advanced view

click users

right click and choose NEW, Group

make a new 'domain local' security group called SMS_SiteSystemToSiteServerConnection_WIN and then make a new one for SMS_SiteToSiteConnection_WIN

change WIN to your site code,

the rest of the guide i wrote still applies (ie: add those accounts in AD to the local computer...)

cheers

anyweb