lindevang

Very low download speed in Software Center

If you download content before install this is not using BITS and can be slow......If you choose to access content directly from DP then this is using BITS....so you have a choice at deployment configuration time!!

Rocket Man

On a similar note.

How can you make an entire task sequence access the content directly? eg. Online Refresh scenario.

I have ticked the "Copy content in package to a package share on DP" for all packages refered in the task sequence.

So i now have the deployment option of "Access content directly from DP when needed by running TS" which i thought would fix the slow download issue.

Its still taking at least 15-20 mins to pull everything from the new SMSPKGD$ folder before it begins the Task sequence.

Any ideas???

Do you mean that it is still downloading then for 15-20mins before it installs even when specified to access content directly from DP?

Have you tried pushing out your software via a Task sequence instead of just the normal program deployment??

Are you making the software available or required?

Rocket Man

On another note I have just looked at your snippet from your 2nd post above.....I see that the source directory for your Office package is quite a long UNC path, which I believe can have implications on deployment.......try relocating your office package to another location with less directories and maybe also have a shorter name for the package without the brackets and see how you get on?

Just a thought....could be the problem... let me know how you get on

Rocket Man

have not heard anything back yet from you....

Just another update...would you believe it...i ran into a similar problem on a test lab.......All of a sudden the content sat waithing and spinning in the software center for ages...to be honest i dont thisnk it was going to come down atall.

What I done was created a new collection and placed my test machine in tis ( i thought that there was something continuously trying to install on the old collection).

What i also did was went to the ConfigMgr folder in program files....inboxes......dstrmgr.box directory. inside here i seen a load of outdated files with the .INS extension to them dating back to a week previous.

Obviously something got screwed up along the way.....So i just deleted all the .INS files and voila OSD and software deployment worked again.

Rocket Man

Do you mean that it is still downloading then for 15-20mins before it installs even when specified to access content directly from DP?

Have you tried pushing out your software via a Task sequence instead of just the normal program deployment??

Are you making the software available or required?

Rocket Man

Yes checking the CAS.log shows that its taking approx 8 mins per package to download from the DP. My task sequence contains approx 25 packages!

So this is not time efficient.

Im wondering if the checkboxes for remote dp's and internet access are the reasons.

Theres something fishy in the CAS.log also...ive attached.

2vcgv12.jpg

In the CAS log you can see it pulls the packages down then starts pulling them again!

Currently this log shows the download of the task sequence is up to about an hour.

Could it be an internal network issue?

EDIT: Just ran the same task sequence on a machine i had done a fresh install on. And the TS ran within 30 secs.

Could possibnly be the client cache requires clearing as someone mentioned above?

I gave up on the troublesome one above and just did a wipe and load.

CAS.LOG