narcoticmind

Deploying CMTrace as an Application

Question

Just tested this thing and I'm kind of thrilled.. so I wanted to deploy cmtrace as an CM12 application,

I did it with the quick-and-dirty method.

So, I created a new application, and for the deployment type I checked script and the actual install program was as follows

xcopy.exe ".\*.*" "%windir%\system32" /D /E /C /I /Q /H /R /Y /S

And the uninstall program was as follows

del.exe %windir%\system32\cmtrace.exe

Detection method was of course checking the presence of cmtrace in %windir%\system32.

The niceness about this is, that now I can simply run cmtrace on any computer in the network and

I was thinking that the new app-model is way better than the old package deployment, what do you guys think?

Has anyone else thought about deploying software like this? I know it would be better to handle it by doing

a script that installs the cmtrace to %programfiles% and so on...

Just tested this thing and I'm kind of thrilled.. so I wanted to deploy cmtrace as an CM12 application,

I did it with the quick-and-dirty method.

So, I created a new application, and for the deployment type I checked script and the actual install program was as follows

xcopy.exe ".\*.*" "%windir%\system32" /D /E /C /I /Q /H /R /Y /S

And the uninstall program was as follows

del.exe %windir%\system32\cmtrace.exe

Detection method was of course checking the presence of cmtrace in %windir%\system32.

The niceness about this is, that now I can simply run cmtrace on any computer in the network and

I was thinking that the new app-model is way better than the old package deployment, what do you guys think?

Has anyone else thought about deploying software like this? I know it would be better to handle it by doing

a script that installs the cmtrace to %programfiles% and so on...

Did it work? I'm trying to do the xcopy thingy within an application and get error 0x1(access deninde). :(

Hello, it's working fine for me but for uninstall I did not find del.exe, so for install I set :

xcopy.exe cmtrace.exe "%windir%\system32\" /y

and for uninstall :

cmd /c del "%windir%\system32\cmtrace.exe" /F /Q

Any more hints to this?

I cant get it to work..

I made two batch files, one for installation and one for uninstall.

I get an error message regarding access denied i think?

Appdiscovery.log

[Method EnforceApp failed with error 80070005]

Googling that led me to similar problems where access was a problem. I need administrative rights to copy files to the system32 directory, how do you guys get past this?

By default, running an installation with administrative rights, via ConfigMgr, runs with local SYSTEM rights. That should be enough to copy a file to system32...

Hello, thanks for answering.

I did some reading last night and also came across that information. Im not sure what is going on as i have several other problems regarding applications installing in a deployment/via application catalog.

I think i need to collect my thoughts, do some troubleshooting and maybe create a separate thread regarding these issues.

I ran my batch files (the install and the uninstall) on a clean VM and they work as they should.

I am also looking for a way to deploy to various win 7 x64 machines. i am getting Did not detect deployment type. I did select script for deployment type and copied above commands for installation - yet unable to get the application installed.

Can you share the batch files for reference mr NEM.....

Edit - Found a way to install CMTrace to all Win 7 workstation - This is what, I did

1. Downloaded and Installed EMCO MSI Package Builder Enterprise 4.5.5.7328

2. Created MSI package from CMTrace.exe

3. Created new applilcation as Windows Installer (MSI)

4. Deployed to Win 7 Collection

5. Tested - Worked out well

If any one need a copy of CMTrace MSI let me know - I will upload to a file sharing site and share the link here.

I am also looking for a way to deploy to various win 7 x64 machines. i am getting Did not detect deployment type. I did select script for deployment type and copied above commands for installation - yet unable to get the application installed.

Can you share the batch files for reference mr NEM.....

Edit - Found a way to install CMTrace to all Win 7 workstation - This is what, I did

1. Downloaded and Installed EMCO MSI Package Builder Enterprise 4.5.5.7328

2. Created MSI package from CMTrace.exe

3. Created new applilcation as Windows Installer (MSI)

4. Deployed to Win 7 Collection

5. Tested - Worked out well

If any one need a copy of CMTrace MSI let me know - I will upload to a file sharing site and share the link here.

Could you post the MSI or email me?

It would save time in putting this together.

Hello, it's working fine for me but for uninstall I did not find del.exe, so for install I set :

xcopy.exe cmtrace.exe "%windir%\system32\" /y

and for uninstall :

cmd /c del "%windir%\system32\cmtrace.exe" /F /Q

I had to use that uninstall line as well.