Rocket Man

2012 Products with SCCM

Question

Has anyone set up SCCM 2012 SP1 beta on Sql 2012 CU3 and Server 2012 on hyper-v 2012?

I am beginning to think that I should have tried it on Sql 2k8R2SP1 cu6 and server 2k8r2 sp1 and hyper-v 2k8r2.

having some difficulty with the famous error 0x80070570 when trying to load in a TS to a couple of VMs.

Solution:

Blow away the VMs and create new ones and viola it works......sometime later try and deploy it to the same VMs after deleting the computer accounts from SCCM DB and making them unknown again and the same error occurrs....delete the VMs and re-create and all is good again.

Could this be a hyper-v 2012 problem with its virtual switches?

Has anyone had similar experiences?

Also SUP site component has a critical error on it but yet it is syncing fine and deploying ADRs also....i set up a seperate instance for the susdb in sql..it connected fine to the DB when configuring WSUS. I check the error messages on the critical site component and it says to check the WCM log and all I see in here is that it was all successful connecting to server on specific port?

Just an update:

All is working now and seems to have stabilised. For the app catalog Ihad to remove both app catalog roles and re-add them to get it to work, also I could not get it to work on IE8, had to install IE9). Have just deploed Win8 out to a mchine so hopefully it works on IE10 also.

For now It seems to have settled down a bit, well actually alot :D

My only problem remaining is still the critical error on the SUP site status component, but it is syncing away and deploying ADRs'. All the components are fine. It is just a weird one, but I have my WSUS on a seperate instance, maybe it could be this, hopefully it may eventually turn to the nice green tick that we all like to see!!

The error that I now see from the messages from the SUP status is as follows:

1. Message ID=7002 Failures were reported on WSUS server while trying to make WSUS Database connection with SQL server exception error code -2146232060

This status error message seems to occurr approx every 2 hours or so.

Probably could put in a status filter to ignore this message ID if it is not serious.

Thanks

Rocket Man

Hi Peter

The instance for WSUS was created with same permissions as SCCM instance........there is not much on the web about the error code, but the weird thing is it is still sycronizing regardless.

Just to confirm my initial thoughts, I blew this install away and setup another new test lab, nothing different this time bar having all databases on the default instance.

Set up my SUP and what do you know all nice green ticks on SUP site component with no errors.

So my question now is........is it better to have all DBs on the one SQL 2012 CU3 instance with SCCM2012 SP1??

I am Curious as I have a few production sites with SCCM 2012 non SP1 on SQL 2K8R2 SP1 CU6 with seperate instances for ConfigMgr and WSUS DBs and have had no errors on these.

I would not use SP1 for SQL 2012. This is not a supported configuration. But you need to install at least CU2, better CU3.

I tried that in a VM for testing reasons, and it turned the SQL server (only together with SCCM2012) into some kind of CPU hog. The machine was permanently running at 100% cpu usage, even after limiting the server to one core. You don't have CPU usage proplems with this configuration?

So my question now is........is it better to have all DBs on the one SQL 2012 CU3 instance with SCCM2012 SP1

Hi Peter

I do have SQL 2012 Enterprise installed with CU3 at present, it was also this build with the initial attempt with the 2 instances. I do not think that it was running at 100% I am fairly sure I would have noticed this, but I do remember it raising slightly now and again while sitting idle doing nothing, 16-30% at times. This could not be normal as it is idle and only 1-2 testing machines for deployments etc..

I have a few production environments and one of them is supporting approx 20000 systems across several remote locations and the CPU usage on Hyper-V with this machine(SQL2k8R2 SP1 CU6 and SCCM2012) never raises at all!!

But for now with the 1 instance for all DBs on SQL 2012 Ent CU3 seems to be running away much better than having 2 seperate instances!

Hi Rocket,

the hight cpu usage was obviously caused by the SP1 for SQL 2012 together with SCCM2012 SP1. That was just a test setup. It was kinda strange. Everything was working, but unbelievable slow. SQL was permanently using at least 80% of the processor time. The rest was used by the .NET optimization. The smsexec got alomost nothing. So working with the console was like clicking on something and then go for a coffee. :D

Mabybe the final SP1 for SCCM2012 will also support SQL2012 SP1.

At the moment my home lab is also runnning with SQL 2012 CU3 without any problems. The cpu usage only raises slightly when the WSUS synch runs.