kvineets

SCCM server space house keeping

Hello All

Looking for some best practices for SCCM server space house keeping. Space on my primary and secondary servers is shrinking.

I know we have lot of packages which are not used which can be removed.

Anybody who might have done this kind of exercise increase the space on the servers.

Any other activity which might help in increasing the space on servers.

Any suggestions on the topic would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards

VKS

Ok, I will bite, why do you think that removing old package will affect live packages?

All I do is once I determine a package is no longer needed. I remove all adverts, remove it from all DPs (not necessary but I like to do this step), delete the package.

There are around 5000 packages which are used by so many businesses across different geographical locations, hence the tasks becomes a bit challenging. I have started with the packages which does not have any adverts, adverts which are not in action for at least in a year.

Determining the fact the package is no longer is a bit difficult , because it will take ages if I start chasing each and every business unit asking if they need it.

Do you have any specific query whcih can give me result on th packages which are not in action for a long time.

No, there is no easy way to determine which package are not used and have an active advertisement.

The easy ones are to determine which one are not deploy to DP and which packages don't have adverts. After that, you need to manually look at each package and determine if the package is used on not. IMO, it is an SCCM admins job to talk to their clients and ask the clients if a package is still being used. If not remove it. Yes, I know it take a while by if my management don't care how much disk space I use, then I don't care either. And this means that I will not chase clients until my management cares, which at that point means that they will support me if I need to remove a package when the client doesn't want me too.