v10

SCCM 2007 AI Incorrect OS Count

Question

In our environment we have been using Asset Intelligence for a while. Everything seems to check out, the sync point is deployed, software numbers are coming in correctly etc.

One piece of software, Windows XP to be specific, is showing numbers vastly different from reality.

We have about 200 XP machines companywide, and SCCM is showing over 700. These machines are showing under two seperate sections, as you can see in the image.

Everything else seems healthy otherwise. The machines in question do exist, but they all have Windows 7 on them currently. Other software info gathered from HINV seems to be working fine. I've tried manually forcing a Hardware Inventory on some of the machines, but they still show as having both XP + 7 installed.

We did recently (5+ months back) do a migration from XP to Windows 7, so these machines did have XP at one point, but it has been quite a while now.

I'd like to figure out why this is happening, and how to fix it. Even to the point of purging all of the HINV data and re-gathering it if it comes to it.

post-16592-0-63072200-1356710796_thumb.png

5 answers to this question

The hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2691428 was installed on the majority of the machines. It seems to have failed on ~20% of them for an unknown reason. Even then, I checked the list of the machines reporting as XP and the ones that did not recieve the update, and the list only has about 30% overlap. This was done a while back (about a month and a half) by someone else, and I will look into why the machines that failed did.

In the meantime, is there anything else I can look into?

Just a preference of having one simple automated report sent monthly. Other than the XP numbers everything else counts out fine. I'll just have to tell my manager to deal with that one number being off.

Does AI get any better in SCCM 2012, or is it generally the same? I know AI is not the real intended purpose of SCCM, but it seems like such an easy opportunity to combine some tasks into the same tool that it'd be a shame to waste it.

Thanks either way.