anyweb

The CM12 BitLocker FrontEnd HTA

do you have any step by step document or any clear video link about configuring task sequences,deploy then pxe boot (backup + OS install) in cm12bitlocker frontend HTA

wasn't this linked to in the actual post ?

The CM12 BitLocker FrontEnd HTA - video

what bit are you missing exactly ?

I put it on, went through the steps of recreating all the MDT packages but the create TS bombed straight away having issues finding the boot images. So, I removed it and put 2012 UP1 back on. Just having a tinker with your original TS now to see if I can fudge it.

Cheers.

Keeop.

no need to recreate the ts, simple change your Use Toolkit packages steps from MDT 2012 to MDT 2013..

no need to recreate the ts, simple change your Use Toolkit packages steps from MDT 2012 to MDT 2013..

I was running through the sequence to create the updated packages - creating an MDT task sequence in order to create the Tools, Settings etc. packages - but these never got created because of a problem creating the boot images. Do you have 2013 integrated with 2012 SP1 then? Is there another easy way to create the Tools package? Is this the only package that needs updating?

Cheers.

Keeop

no i dont, and i didn't get time to update my lab tonite either, i'll try tomorrow.

no i dont, and i didn't get time to update my lab tonite either, i'll try tomorrow.

Everywhere I've looked it says to not install MDT 2013 with SCCM 2012 SP1 - only with R2. So, I don't think I'm going to be able to get away with this. I just need to work out why that backup script is failing. Will do some more digging.

Cheers.

Keeop

O

Everywhere I've looked it says to not install MDT 2013 with SCCM 2012 SP1 - only with R2. So, I don't think I'm going to be able to get away with this. I just need to work out why that backup script is failing. Will do some more digging.

Cheers.

Keeop

OK, setting the variable %OSDisk% before the backup routine does seem to work. I am setting it to D:\ but from the playing around I have done, it doesn't really matter what this is set to - the fact that it is set seems to cause the script to run properly and then query the drives/partitions anyway to pick up the correct drive name. Think I'll do some more playing to back up all found partitions, in that case, so that data drives etc. are backed up too. Which actually leads me on to another question....Do you know, off the top of your head, whether these scripts take recovery partitions in to account? If I were to point the scripts to a laptop to either upgrade the OS or totally reinstall, would the manufacturer's recovery partition remain untouched? I'm guessing no on a 'new computer' install, but what about a 'refresh'?

Cheers.

Keeop

interesting, when I set that variable it made no difference (was setting it with the checkdriveletter script), however it works fine for me using MDT 2013, and I also use a variable called BackupDrive by setting BackupDrive=All which backs up all partitions (except bde partitions) I have not tested it with recovery partitions yet

i'll retest, i was setting ospart, i'll set osdisk with the ospart var...

I have created HTA boot image as you instructed but unable to find it in task sequence where i can map hta boot image , was i missing something. because of this i am unable find it after winpe boot in task sequence list.

in the task sequence , i have disabled some of the unwanted items which i dont require it at the moment like TPM & MBAM , language pack & Dell .

actually i am looking for simple task sequence of boot win PE , capture profile & c drive data(offline hardlink), intstall OS in C , restore profile & data in sccm 2012 sp1.

Thanks for your support & help. Really appreciate

if you create an mdt boot image then that should support this task sequence, have you tried that ? or create a boot image with optional components installed which can support displaying HTA's

i am not able to find boot image or hta boot image in task reference of cm12bitlocker frontend HTA which i downloaded fom here and imported to sccm 2012 sp1

i have remapped my old MDT toolkit package with adding customsetting.ini file which is actually available in MDT setting package so i updated that too.

in task reference, i can see OS image, MDT toolkit package & MDT setting package , USMT but not Boot image.

actually i was created MDT sequence through create MDT sequence which is available in sccm 2012 sp1 after installing MDT 2012 update1, is it wrong to create MDT task sequence from there or any other way .

can you please create simple task sequence for me like i said in my preivous post.that would be really great...

old post: actually i am looking for simple task sequence of boot win PE , capture profile & c drive data(offline hardlink), intstall OS in C , restore profile & data in sccm 2012 sp1.

also for new computer (partition)

I'd appreciate if you create a new thread describing your issues, as this thread is all dedicated to the CM12 BitLocker FrontEnd HTA.

then once done we'll deal with your issues, one at a time

interesting, when I set that variable it made no difference (was setting it with the checkdriveletter script), however it works fine for me using MDT 2013, and I also use a variable called BackupDrive by setting BackupDrive=All which backs up all partitions (except bde partitions) I have not tested it with recovery partitions yet

Is this in the HTA TS already? If not, I guess I can just put it in before the 'Backup' section. Will I need to do anything with the back up name or does the ZTI script create differently named .wim files itself for each partition? Or, does it just create the one .wim?

Looking at restore options now. In your TS I don't think there's an option to just do a full restore from a backed up .wim. Is this a fairly straightforward addition? I'll have a look but you'll better know than me!

Also, was just wondering why the additional Windows partition is not being created for non-UEFI installs? Is this system partition created elsewhere in the TS via an MDT script that I have missed? Kind of ties in with my question on 'Recovery' partitions. From what I can tell in the TS, if we have an unformatted disk, the multiple partitions are created for UEFI and the single for standard BIOS. If the disk already has an OS on it, for 'New' installs, a single partition is created - there is no UEFI checking/creation section. For 'Refreshes', the disk structure is left as-is. Guess I need something in between that keeps data partitions, if present, but also creates the Windows system partitions if they're not there, like when upgrading from XP to Win 8.

Cheers.

Keeop

there is no option to restore the backed up WIM in the CM12 BitLocker Frontend HTA, all restore options are for data backed up via scanstate, I may add a restore wim option in a later addition (actually i'm working on a backup/restore HTA separately which is dedicated to network backup, you'll need to restore the wim file and the corresponding bootloader.

like so.... (here are some of the steps I use, each one is a separate step)

I may release a version of this functionality in the future but right now it's being developed..

Set %OSdisk% = C: if OSDISK doesn't exist
x:\windows\pkgmgr\imagex.exe /apply %RESTORE_FILE% 1 %OSDISK%\ /logfile x:\windows\pkgmgr\imagex.log
cmd.exe /c bootsect.exe /nt60 %OSDISK% /force /mbr
cmd.exe /c bcdboot %OSDISK%\Windows

Yeah, that would be cool. I did have a quick look though, and it looks like imagex is not recommended for this sort of thing - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935467/en-gb What are your thoughts on that?

Could you also please give me your thoughts on the partition stuff in my earlier post too please, as it would help me understand things a lot more.

One last thing, I'm now having issues with a step in the HTA:

xcopy X86 USMT to USMTbits\X86

Looks like the source location doesn't exist - does this mean I haven't installed the USMT package to the machine? Can you also please clarify why one step uses x86 USMT and another further along uses x64?

Cheers.

Keeop

Yeah, that would be cool. I did have a quick look though, and it looks like imagex is not recommended for this sort of thing - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935467/en-gb What are your thoughts on that?

i've backed up and restored Windows XP,7 and Windows 8 just fine with imagex, i'd suggest you test it yourself and come to your own conclusions as to it's effectiveness.

xcopy X86 USMT to USMTbits\X86

Looks like the source location doesn't exist -

it's copied from the MDT Toolkit package (which you've populated with the USMT folders on page one of this guide) by the task sequence

so your toolkit package source looks like this and the usmt x86 (and x64..) sub folders are within the USMT dir..

usmt.png

Hey Niall,

Awesome HTA! I've nearly finished piecing it all together but I've hit a snag!

In the New Computer/New Installation pane of the HTA the Restore option is only presenting me with No Restore or SMP.

I have checked the Connect to Network Folder step in the Task Sequence and the the relevant drive is mapped and can be browsed in WINPE.

I then checked in the deploymenu.js to further investigate to find the function populateUSMTDropList()

sUsmtStorePath = "\\\\sccm\\USMTStores";

This seems to be the issue?

Is this supposed to be dynamically set or am I missing something?

Could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks for your help!

One more thing!

Do we have to update to MDT 2013 to get the WIM Backup functionality working?

No adverse to doing so but don't want to unsettle my web services for moving computer between OU's etc...

Thanks again!

shouldn't need to see the comments above up a few posts..

Cheers Niall!

I managed to get this to work by following both your and also keeop's suggestions of:

Add BackupDrive=ALL to customsettings.ini.

At the beginning of both the Backup Local and Backup Network Task Sequence groups

Add Step > Set OSDISK variable to %OSPART%

Add Step > Check DriveLetter and Set OSPART variable. (copyable from elsewhere in the TS)

Thanks again!

• Like 1