Tall_Paul

Installing SCCM 2012 SP1 onto Server 2012

Question

Hi all

My first post, so please be gentle!

I'm currently running SCCM 2007 R3, and am planning my migration to 2012 SP1.

I've been reading the excellent guides on here but am wondering if I should 'bite the bullet' and go for a Server 2012 with SQL 2012 Standard installation.

My thinking behind this is I would like this to be a one shot migration, and if I install SCCM 2012 onto a Server 2008 R2 box I will only have to upgrade that at some point in the future.

So, has anyone here done an install onto a Server 2012 box with SQL 2012 Standard?

The only link I've found on the internet has been this one but that was back in October.

So I suppose I'm asking everyone's advice really. Would you recommend waiting a while until more people have upgraded to Server 2012, or go for an SCCM upgrade but use the guide here and put it onto a Server 2008 R2 box.

Our SCCM 2007 R3 installation is working fine, so there is no big rush, but it is something I'd like to do soon (even if just for the ability to deploy Windows 8).

Thanks for reading, and thanks Windows Noob for providing such an invaluable resource.

6 answers to this question

I'm installing the System Center Private Cloud Evaluation on two Windows 2012 servers for the second time right now, with every intention of licensing System Center and making these our "real" System Center servers. I have a remote SQL Server install, instances on SQL Server 2012 Enterprise, because that's what we're running. I'm on Part 5. So far, so good, altho I have my own noob questions to post. And the current version of System Center has a few differences from the Windows Noob screenshots, but nothing has been a showstopper for me yet.

I will suggest if you aren't already comfortable with Windows Server 2012, you might want to spend some time learning your way around first to minimize frustration with old habits that don't work on the new interface. For example, one thing that took me some time was figuring out that installing the set of roles and features in PowerShell was failing on .NET, and that the fastest solution for the eval was to enable the "Specify settings for optional component installation and component repair" Group Policy setting.

Have a production site built now and serveral test sites prior all on 2012 products, SCCM 2012SP1, Server 2012 and SQL 2012 ENT all on a VM sitting on Hyper-V2012, so far so good, will know more when this expands out to 29 more remote locations, with the intention of the DPs also been a server 2012 build on a VM on Hyper-V 2012!!

Rocket Man

I'm comfortable enough with 2012. Have been using Windows 8 for a few months now so the interface is OK. Can I ask how those of you who have done it did steps 7 to 9 on server 2012?

I've read a few people have used the Windows Noob guide for 2008 R2 installation. I got stuck at Step 7. Install .NET 3.5.1 and WCF Activation

Can I ask how those of you who have done it did steps 7 to 9 on server 2012? I want to make sure the 'base' installation is right otherwise it's going to be a problem further on down the line.

You can bypass it if you like as server 2012 installs .net 4.5 features by default, but if you intend using the APP catalog you will also need to activate 3.5 which can be done from the server features, it is there just dig into the options and you will find them!!

I'm comfortable enough with 2012. Have been using Windows 8 for a few months now so the interface is OK. Can I ask how those of you who have done it did steps 7 to 9 on server 2012?

I've read a few people have used the Windows Noob guide for 2008 R2 installation. I got stuck at Step 7. Install .NET 3.5.1 and WCF Activation

Can I ask how those of you who have done it did steps 7 to 9 on server 2012? I want to make sure the 'base' installation is right otherwise it's going to be a problem further on down the line.

That's not a very obvious thing in Windows 2012. Here is a howto.

• Like 1