Jroth

WAIK to WADK

Question

I want to upgrade my deployment shares to use WADK. I am in the middle of a migration from XP to Windows 7. Would there be a negative affect from doing this? Is there any gotchas?

Also does WADK not allow the deployment of XP?

Thanks,

Jacob

2 answers to this question

The Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (Windows ADK) is the upgraded version of Windows Automated Installation Kit (Windows AIK). As you can see from the system requirements listed here on the Microsoft Download page for the Windows AIK, Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 are no longer supported but Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008R2 and Windows Server 2012 are.

You also might want to check out the Windows Deployment with the Windows ADK library document from the Springboard Series site on TechNet.

You will want to uninstall Windows AIK prior to installing the Windows ADK to prevent any issues from arising. After you do that, you should be able to proceed with your deployment and migration. If you still need to be able to deploy and maintain Windows XP images for deployment, you might want to consider setting up a separate workstation with MDT and Windows AIK to maintain Windows XP deployment capabilities.

You also might want to check the Deliver and Deploy Windows 7 page from the Springboard Series on TechNet as there are a great deal of resources available to assist with the migration process.

Hope this helps!

Jessica
Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

I want to upgrade my deployment shares to use WADK. I am in the middle of a migration from XP to Windows 7. Would there be a negative affect from doing this? Is there any gotchas?

Also does WADK not allow the deployment of XP?

Thanks,

Jacob

if you are deploying Windows XP only then don't use the WADK, if you are deploying Windows 7 then all is ok, if you are migrating to Windows 7 then you should be ok as long as your hardware is supported via WinPE 4 (which is part of WADK)

cheers

niall