sigemund

Failed to get site version from AD

Hi all --

This problem is literally killing me. I seriously might die . . .

Running SCCM 2012 SP1 on Server 2012. During OSD, the task of Installing Configuration Manager Client Agent never really installs. In ccmsetup.log, I get the following:

Retrieving client operational settings from AD. ccmsetup 4/4/2013 3:54:02 PM 1740 (0x06CC)

ulFetched == 1, HRESULT=80004005 (e:\nts_sccm_release\sms\framework\locationservices\lsutilities\lsad.cpp,620) ccmsetup 4/4/2013 3:54:02 PM 1740 (0x06CC)
Unexpected row count (0) retrieved from AD. ccmsetup 4/4/2013 3:54:02 PM 1740 (0x06CC)
LSPerformADQuery( spCont, spSearch, hSearch, pszAttr, dwAttrCount, sSearchFilter ), HRESULT=80004005 (e:\nts_sccm_release\sms\framework\locationservices\lsutilities\lsadcache.cpp,191) ccmsetup 4/4/2013 3:54:02 PM 1740 (0x06CC)
FetchFromAD(sSiteCode), HRESULT=80004005 (e:\nts_sccm_release\sms\framework\locationservices\lsutilities\lsadcache.cpp,51) ccmsetup 4/4/2013 3:54:02 PM 1740 (0x06CC)
g_oMPsCache.GetClientOperationalSettings( sSiteCode, sOperationalXML ), HRESULT=80004005 (e:\nts_sccm_release\sms\framework\locationservices\lsutilities\lsad.cpp,4798) ccmsetup 4/4/2013 3:54:02 PM 1740 (0x06CC)
Failed to get site version from AD with error 0x80004005 ccmsetup 4/4/2013 3:54:02 PM 1740 (0x06CC)

I've extended the schema and verified the DNS is correct. Machines that receive the client from Windows Update work just fine. The problem is the deployment via OSD Task Sequence.

A bit of history as far as this server is concerned. I had it all set up in Server 2008 R2 and it was working fine. I upgraded to SP1 and this error came up. I ended up getting so frustrated after several days of troubleshooting, I tried doing a fresh install of SCCM on Server 2012 and am getting the exact same error.

Does anyone have any good ideas on what I should try next? I had assumed this could be a boundary issue, but as far as I can tell, my boundaries are configured just fine.

Hi There

I think i might be experiencing similar problems to yourself. When you say the client doesn't really install, how far does it get?

I have a problem where it fails to install properly, kicks me out to windows.

If i log in the client is installed, but not assigned any site and just lists itself as Internet Only. Also running Server 2012 and SCCM 2012 SP1.

The one difference i have in my environment is that i have yet to setup an AD boundary, only IP boundaries as im mid way through migrating from 2007 to 2012.

Boggot --

I ended up opening a support case with MSFT and the tech was able to help me define the problem a bit better. His argument was that the client was still installing, and this specific error line in the log was meaningless. However, the client still wasn't really installing correctly or connecting to the MP until it received the client from GPO / Windows Update. Nothing *after* the client installation would complete, and we spent a few hours on the phone digging through logs and what not, to no avail. Having the problem a bit better defined really helped though, as this thread on technet (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmanagerosd/thread/d774aa93-ebf9-4693-9480-c02ce13d859f) began to make more sense to me. That evening, I kicked off a new Build & Capture sequence with the additional restart, as recommended by clab1979 in the technet thread. The next morning I deployed it and it worked fine. I've been doing some more work with this to be certain that the issue is resolved, and so far it looks good. I'll update the thread with further info once I'm more certain, but I feel pretty good about this fix.

*UPDATE*

Just putting this note here in case someone hits this thread while troubleshooting. The reboot during build & capture resolved everything. It appears the issue has to do with the SCCM client attempting to install again using the settings from the first installation (during build & capture) -- it was trying to install to the D:\ drive (the Windows drive letter during build & capture, but not during deployment). There are a bunch of things in logs about it not having space on the D:\ drive (which doesn't even exist at this point), and my thought is that it's pulling settings left over from build & capture. That reboot mentioned in the technet thread above solves it all.