KeithDib

USMT from XP to 7

Question

Hi all

I am currently deploying Windows 7 to the XP machines, using SCCM 2007/MDT2012

How [using MDT] do I get USMT working?

I have set up a 'State Migration Point' etc already but am not sure what I need to include in the TS, or do I have to install USMT on the targets machines first?

thanks

Keith

5 answers to this question

this depends on where you want to store the data, and whether it's inplace (reinstall) or new computer scenarios

so what is it ?

this depends on where you want to store the data, and whether it's inplace (reinstall) or new computer scenarios

so what is it ?

It will be mainly Reinstalls [From XP to 7 and 7 to 7 etc]

Although it will also have to work on a new computers as we get them, although there will be nothing needed to be saved from these

well if it's reinstalls then you can use hardlinking (so the data stays on the computer in question)

for new computer scenarios you can store the state (the settings and data) on the state migration point (a configuration manager share...) or on a network share

I've implented a HTA frontend which has all the above logic (and more) built in, take a look.

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/7294-the-cm12-bitlocker-frontend-hta

well if it's reinstalls then you can use hardlinking (so the data stays on the computer in question)

for new computer scenarios you can store the state (the settings and data) on the state migration point (a configuration manager share...) or on a network share

I've implented a HTA frontend which has all the above logic (and more) built in, take a look.

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/7294-the-cm12-bitlocker-frontend-hta

Thanks, but I am crating a 'Zero Touch' for this, all I really want to save from the machines is people Internet Favorites and possibly the My Documents to the share stated on the 'State Migration Point', to allow me to keep the info for a few days

yes, but the logic is all there in the task sequence, you can remove the frontend and use variables (machine or collection based) to guide the actions even for zero touch