jamitupya

Deploy software through AD Groups linked to Collections in SCCM

Question

Hi All,

i've been trying to figure this out for a while but keep failing totally and in utter dispair i need to ask how i can do this

I want to deploy software through AD Groups linked to Collections in SCCM.

Is there an easy way to do this, can somebody give me a basic run down on how this should occur? i want to learn it but it is just one elusive SOB at the moment :S

Cheers

It is not needed to extend the AD, but it makes the proces a lot easier... When you do not want to extend the AD, then you have to use a Server Locator Point (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb680672.aspx).

I had already added the server locator point... I think I understand you're saying it's not that easy. is that right?

You nailed it, SCCM pulls data from the systems management container in order to pick up boundary and site data.

You will need to extend the schema if you wish to test further...

its not that scary of a process though can break... i recommend before you extend, ensure that all your replication has completed successfully using:

repadmin /replsummary or repadmin /showrepl

gotcha... thanks for the clarification & instructions!

Ok.. Well it appears I managed to get it working without the schema update. I agree the schema update makes things easier and I am expecting more issues until this update is done but I was personally kept from being able to run the update because our Change Control wouldn't allow it.

The major only deviation from setting up SCCM is that I disabled updating AD. I did this because of all the errors I got with SCCM trying to update itself in AD and until we extend the schema it's not going to work anyway. This is in the properties of the site.

post-4156-12602020113842_thumb.jpg

Then what I changed was the command line information for SCCM's client installation. I had to manually specify all the settings so the client knew where it was pointing to. This is a requirement when you have a server locator point instead of an extended schema.

This is the syntax I added

CCMSETUP.EXE /noservice SMSMP=tstsccm SMSSITECODE=rg6 smslp=TSTSCCM

This was in the properties of the program

post-4156-12602023651117_thumb.jpg

Now I also followed instructions for WSUS config and noticed the client inside the package said yes under WSUS but not under the Adobe pack. I decided to remove the query information all together to make it manually add itself and requery and then this showed the client was "yes". I did that because I had tried reinstalling the client a million times and never once did the actual client say it was "yes". post-4156-12602025924939_thumb.jpg

After this the software install and udpates started right up.

Thanks again for everybody's help on this!!!

We have 1000 PCs' in our organization and we are going to deploy applications/software through SCCM R2 to our Windows 7 environment. We have almost 100 softwares and tens of classrooms, which each class needs spesific programs to install.

I have created Collection for each classroom.

Like this:

Computers

-- ClassRoom 1

-- ClassRoom 2

-- ClassRoom 3

Collections are dynamic with queries, which checks computers accounts from AD and spesific OU:

select SMS_R_System.NetbiosName from SMS_R_System where SMS_R_System.SystemOUName = "ORGANISATION.LOCAL/Computers/Classroom1"

I have created adverts of software that I want to install for each collections. It works fine when new computer is added, but when I need to re-install for example App-V Client, all software disappears and they don't install automatically anymore. Also if I remove some software manually, it doesn't automatically install anymore. I need to make new advert to get it done.

How can I automate this task, that machine clients check always programs that they should have, and installs missing software again without questions or need to make new advert?

Playing with AD groups, has a lot of work for maintenance to keep groups updated in future and when computers are changed to new ones. It would be so lot easier, if ConfigManager just checks computer accounts from spesific OU and and installs software to this spesific collection.

First thank for sharing that anyweb

I have a question:

- I deploy software on the domain via group like you explain.

- I deploy new pc via OSD PXE and task sequence "tatal setup take 6hrs"

Is there a way to have the new pc in the group ex: "Visual Studio" without having sccm deploy the software because Visual Studio is already installed by OSD task sequence? I know i can do that via the install script to detect the version of software and exiting if the same version is installed but if it's possible i want to avoid that.

Guest itismike

Hi Mucimol,

You probably already found this out, but for completeness, your program will not install twice unless you've told it to "always rerun program" in the program description.

How do I set this up so that it will see new members of the group quickly (within 15-30 minutes of the computer being added)? Does ConfigMgr need to run the Active Directory System Group Discovery, then update the collection?