Johnny_Eyebrows

Windows XP to Windows 7 migration - USMT issue, any help? Thank you!

Question

Hi all,

Working in an NHS trust in the UK, we are finally (after many years of trying to get it started!) moving from an 32bit XP/Office2K3 environment to a 64bit Win7/Office2010 (desktops) or 64bit Win8/Office2010 (laptops - though, this is under discussion).

As part of the migration, we're of course trying to use USMT as we have over 5000 user roaming accounts within the trust. Original idea was using hardlinks, but we are thinking that we may use a non hardlink migration, saving the .mig file to the local d: initially, and then copying this file to a server share as the backup copy.

I have been following the great piece of work sticked within this forum (http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1735-using-offline-mode-in-windows-pe-using-usmt-4-via-a-task-sequence-in-sccm-2007-sp2/) and have used it as the basis of my task sequence. However, I have came across some issues in my setup. The first is my task sequence (XML changed to txt - attached) that I'm using for testing purposes. When it begins the xcopy sequence, it begins to copy the entire server share across, not just the USMT package files. When using the hardlink task sequence that Anyweb(? - think that's his forum name) has created, it copies correctly. However, at the end, while running scanstate, it errors with a 0x0000001 code. All files have copied across, so not sure of what to do? Any advise, VERY much appreciated

added log files

OfflineUSMT.txt

smsts.log

smsts-20140115-105542.log

2 answers to this question

from your logs...

7231 File(s) copied

Insufficient disk space

I can see it's filling up your D:\ drive (possibly your WinPE)

so check what drive you are deploying to, I have a task sequence script in the sample task sequence here which checks what drive is the OS drive by looking for \windows\explorer.exe and sets that variable for use later...

if your computer has multiple partitions and you've pointed it to the wrong partition then it will bomb out...

to make troubleshooting this easier i'd definetly advise you to implement the following in your task sequence so you can step through it

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8846-how-can-i-pause-a-task-sequence-in-system-center-2012-configuration-manager/

Hi,

Thank you for the reply -

I went through and changed parts of the task sequence to point directly at drives, and also corrected one part I did not think about at the time - the version of WinPE I was using was x64... Now that I'm using the amd64 files, and having added 2 lines into the batchfile that calls scanstate -

SET MIG_OFFLINE_PLATFORM_ARCH=32
SET USMT_WORKING_DIR=C:\temp

- It's working great!

Now to fit it into a test deployment...