• Windows-Noob logo

Welcome to windows-noob.com!

Logging in will allow you to download scripts used in the guides.

If you came here looking for the Endpoint Manager step-by-step guides then please start here.

Register for free and ask your questions in our forums.

XP users set to miss out on IE patch

anyweb
    By anyweb,
    Microsoft is scrambling to repair a security hole in its widely used Internet Explorer web browser, saying it had detected attempts to exploit the flaw. The US software giant said in a blog post the coding problem affected versions six through 11 of its flagship browser, noting it was aware of "limited, targeted attacks" taking advantage of the newly discovered flaw. The exploit uses Flash and a technique called heap feng shui, which Microsoft says can allow an attacker who successfully exploits

Windows XP - August 24, 2001 - April 8, 2014 R.I.P.

anyweb
    By anyweb,
    Today (April 8th, 2014) marks the End of Life (EOL) of Windows XP, one of the most popular operating systems from Microsoft, however many people are probably still unaware of the fact (and there are probably many who simply don't care).     The operating system was released to manufacturing (RTM) on August 24, 2001, and generally released for retail sale on October 25, 2001.     XP grew in popularity because it was easy to use and worked on most hardware. I bet most of you have a cousi

Microsoft's new strategy, a mobile-first, cloud-first world.

anyweb
    By anyweb,
    Microsoft is pushing forward with it's plans to gain presence and dominate in the mobile and cloud space with the following email from Satya Nadel which makes clear that the new mission statement is all about a mobile-first, cloud-first world with flagship products like Office 365 (for viewing and producing content) and Onedrive (for storing your content) being key components of that evolving landscape.     After 22 years at Microsoft, Satya has commented that at the end of all exploring yo

Windows 8.1 update leaks to the web, direct from Redmond

anyweb
    By anyweb,
    The much-anticipated update to Windows 8.1, which is scheduled for release to the general public in early April, has leaked to the web early. And this time the leak comes from an unexpected source: Microsoft itself. After being released to manufacturing a couple days ago, the update was supposed to roll out on a carefully graduated schedule, first to “dogfooders” inside Microsoft, then to MSDN subscribers, and finally to the public via Windows Update.   But thanks to some accurate instructions

Microsoft's Windows 8.1 Update 1: Rumored release target is March 11

anyweb
    By anyweb,
    There's nothing like ending the week with a few fresh Windows rumors.First up, the target release date for Windows 8.1 Update 1 -- the relatively minor update coming to Windows 8.1 this spring -- is allegedly March 11, according to one of my accurate and trusted sources. Yes, that's a Patch Tuesday. Given that Microsoft will likely deliver Update 1 to Windows 8.1 users via Windows Update, this seems pretty believable to me.   Windows leaker WZor previously indicated that Windows 8.1 Update

"Threshold" to be Called Windows 9, Ship in April 2015

anyweb
    By anyweb,
    At the BUILD developer conference in April 2014, Microsoft will discuss its vision for the future of Windows, including a year-off release codenamed "Threshold" that will most likely be called Windows 9. Here's what I know about the next major release of Windows. As a kind of recap, we know that Microsoft will update Windows 8.1 in 2014, first with a service pack/feature pack-type update called Update 1 (or GDR1 internally). I wrote a bit about this update recently in Windows 8.1 Update 1 (Very

Microsoft patches 4 zero-day vulnerabilities in major Patch Tuesday event

anyweb
    By anyweb,
    Yesterday Microsoft released 11 security bulletins fixing 24 vulnerabilities in Windows, Windows Server, Exchange Server, Microsoft SharePoint Server, Office Web Apps, Lync, ASP.NET SignalR, and Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2013. Five of the bulletins address at least one vulnerability rated Critical. Another recently-reported zero-day was not fixed. Microsoft says that four of the bulletins (MS13-096, MS13-098, MS13-104 and MS13-106) contain a vulnerability which is being exploited in t

Microsoft codename 'Threshold': The next major Windows wave takes shape

anyweb
    By anyweb,
    When I blogged recently about Microsoft's plans on the operating-systems front following Windows 8.1, I mentioned a couple of "spring 2015" releases. It turns out the Microsoft codename for that wave of deliverables is Threshold.   A couple of my contacts have confirmed that Microsoft Executive Vice President Terry Myerson recently mentioned the Threshold codename in an internal email about plans for his unified operating-system engineering group. If all goes according to early plans, Thresho

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.