Jump to content


Windows 10 Enterprise - Upgrade from 10240 to 10586

Recommended Posts



I have a strange issue that I hope people can help me With. I'm using SCCM to push out the 10586 update


I have 4 Windows 10 enterprice 10240 machines With all updates Applied. When I try to update my machine the following error comes


The software change returned error code 0x8007007E.(-2147024770).



The download of the update worked fine and everything looks ok before I start. The update is available in Software Center and downloads the update to the Client. The UpdatesHandler.log shows:


WSUS update (5beaec8f-fe8f-4a81-830e-b1aaaaf6a76c) installation result = 0x8007007e, Reboot State = NoReboot

Update execution failed.


WindowsUpdate.log shows

Requested file 10586.0.151029-1700.th2_release_CLIENTENTERPRISE_VOL_x64fre_en-us.esd has no decrypt information

Installer completed. Process return code = 0x8007007E, result = 0x8007007E, callback pending = False

Exit code = 0x8007007E



And nothing more.


Anyone else done the same thing?



Øyvind Nernæs








Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

that error means

The specified module could not be found.

Source: Windows

have you checked the setupact.log and setuperr.log in




they'll reveal more info

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Again


I've checked the logs and the cant find what you have there? I thought that those logs were just for installing the OS?


In my SCCM console i dont have two updates for

Upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise, Version 1511, 10586 - en-us, Volume


Just one and the Clients have evaluated it to be required.


The error code does not match mine 0x8007007e.


Will try settings up a another test environment and test there.


Will post my result here later

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

can you try the following then ? if 3095113 is not installed...


On the ConfigMgr server

On your client computer

  • Stopped the services

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

  • Delete c:\Windows\Software Distribution
  • Delete C:\Windows\System32\catroot2
  • Delete the folder contain .esd downloaded in ccmcache folder
  • Delete C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources
  • Restart the OS and run the upgrade again from software center

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the old one and the new LAB runnng side by side. I did go through the setup again + a few more careful restarts. ITS working on the new lab


But I will also try your recipe for fixing the other LAB.


Will get back to you on this.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Testing done


Now for the updates


2919355 and 3095113 are installed.


This post is done during the Tech preview by me https://www.windows-noob.com/forums/topic/13368-how-can-i-install-system-center-configuration-manager-current-branch/?hl=2919442#entry51471


I have reinstalled WSUS and the SUP role


Syncronized the updates and something is clearly broken. It started synronizing 21498 updates...I only have silverlight and Windows 10 updates selected in my Product selection. It should only be 302 updates like in my other LAB and they are identical.


Anyway. Despite the mess it seems to have worked ;-)...thank god its just a LAB ;-)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.