Reusing the Same USB to Ethernet Adapter to PXE Surface Pro 4's

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sbuck

sbuck

• Established Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:I work in I.T. but I love Basketball, Bass Fishing & NASCAR. Admin of Buck's Baits...Custom hand-poured Bass baits. Check out my page!

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:56 PM

We're running into an issue where we cannot use the same USB to Ethernet Adapter to PXE boot multiple Surface Pros.  SCCM version is 1610, and I have done the following steps:

To add hardware identifiers for Configuration Manager to ignore
  1. In the Configuration Manager console, go to Administration > Overview > Site Configuration > Sites.
  2. On the Home tab, in the Sites group, choose Hierarchy Settings.
  3. On the Client Approval and Conflicting Records tab, choose Add in the Duplicate hardware identifiers section to add new hardware identifiers.

I have added the MAC address and the SMBIOS GUID of the Adapter, restarted the SCCM server and it still doesn't work.  I can find the associated MAC address in SCCM, delete the computer tied to it, and then I can re-image again, but that's sort of a pain. 

I have also tried to edit the Registry by going here and excluding the MAC and still nothing.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS\Components \SMS_DISCOVERY_DATA_MANAGER

ExcludeMACAddress

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

#2 anyweb

anyweb

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,251 posts
  • Interests:Deploying Operating systems and more with System Center Configuration Manager

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:45 PM

what do you see logged in smspxe.log when you try to reimage another device ?

Microsoft MVP > Enterprise Client Management
My linkedin profile at > linkedin.com
Follow me on Twitter > ncbrady
Follow windowsnoob.com on Twitter > windowsnoob
My blog

#3 NullSID

NullSID

• Established Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:10 PM

I'm surprised that it doesn't pass through a MAC address of the Surface like Lenovo does.

Post the SMSPXE log. That will help.

#4 sbuck

sbuck

• Established Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:I work in I.T. but I love Basketball, Bass Fishing & NASCAR. Admin of Buck's Baits...Custom hand-poured Bass baits. Check out my page!

Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:33 PM

Sorry I didn't get back to you guys.  I tested it this morning while running the SMSPXE.log and it worked.  Weird, I had tried 4 or 5 other times and it kept failing. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users